HD 60i vs 25p

We have a crew in England ready to shoot some footage for us during some high action football games. They are using Panasonic HD1920 shooting either 60i or 25p. Since progressive scans are better in high action, we decided for them to use that format.

The question is, since it is still pal, which would be the better playback machine to transfer the tapes to NSTC?

Any suggestions?

I don't think I would've agreed with your initial decision to shoot in progressive. For high speed sports you would probably be better off with an interlaced format and a normal to higher shutter speed to get really sharp images out of the camera. Watch other sports on espn and notice that they shoot mostly interlaced. It also would make your life easier when in an NTSC environment. If it's still something you can perhaps change then I would suggest you take a look at that option. Progressive has its place (film and episodic television especially).

25p being a native PAL format won't do you any favors in the U.S. where it tends to be a 30p/60i environment (especially for this type of shooting). It may look filmic but you also have to interpolate frames since your adding 5 extra frames from your native 25 frame environment.

I hope that helps and good luck.

Last edited:
Back