Is my mic "BAD".....

I have this mic, that was quite cheap. I don't know to much about mics but is the shotgun condenser mic suposed to only pick up the voice when its pointed at it? the mic i have seems to pick up a lot of room tone buzz, and if im talking away from the mic it will still pick it up.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YOGA-condense...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1683|293:1|294:50

is the mic.,

should i invest in a "more pro mic"

Bareing in mind i only have a canon fs100 consumer camcorder.

I have this mic, that was quite cheap. I don't know to much about mics but is the shotgun condenser mic suposed to only pick up the voice when its pointed at it? the mic i have seems to pick up a lot of room tone buzz, and if im talking away from the mic it will still pick it up.
If you point a camera at a person does it record only the person? A mic will pick up all the sounds in a given area. There are no "magic mics" that will pick up only the dialog. The degree to which the mic will single out the dialog and reject other sounds will depend upon the type of mic, the mic polar pattern, the quality of the mic, the specific situation and the expertise with which the mic is used.

A passable budget shotgun mic is going to be at least $200. If it is a condenser mic it will require phantom power, either from an internal battery or an external source. With your camera you will probably have to use a battery and an XLR to mini-pin adapter, or else you will have to get a mixer/converter that like the juicedLink or the Beachtek. Be advised that the less expensive of the juicedLink or the Beachtek lines do not supply phantom power.

You can make a DIY boom pole for about $40.

As I and many others have mentioned in numerous other posts, poor sound will NEVER be forgiven. If you have good sound your audience will forgive a multitude of other technical problems.

The biggest problem with being a "sound guy" is that no one ever notices if you've done a good or even a great job, only when you screw up or you are asked to do the impossible, like cleaning up horrible production sound

what he just said :)

agree with everything said above...and even with the best mic you can get you hands on for any situation. there is still the room or location to deal with. if it is noisy...the tracks will be too. if the mic is too far away...there will not be much to work with.

a shotgun is not the answer to shooting indoors...and indoor locations where you have no control of the location, it can be an even worse chose.

no one mic can do it all. and if you are thinking of being a soundmixer you will learn this and find out you need many mics to work properly and get good sound. and learning to hear things on set that need to be taken care of so you can get better tracks and have those simple tools, such as sound blankets, painters cloths, carpets, chair pads etc.

Back