Another 48-HR, with an opinion question...

So I am doing my second 48HR Film Fest this year and just had a question that is more of an opinion then anything. I was curious if anyone here thinks that it is possible to have to much crew on a shoot like this. I am on another crew that seems to be giant for this type of project. The amount looks to be about 13-15 people. Anyone have any opinion on this?

If each of those people has a specific job then you need
each of them

I just did the 48 hour project last weekend. I had a crew
of 9. We could have used a few more. I would have liked
to have had a dedicated scripty (the producer did it) and
another makeup person (one wasn't enough). One of my
grips was also digitizing footage so we would lose him for
periods of time.

Each of the crew of 9 really worked hard to there wasn't ever
an issue on set. But easing the burden with a few more people
could have helped.

Hi Brooksy,

I didn't have a chance to make it over to Sundance for the kabaret kickoff,
how big of a turnout was there?

Like directorik said, you will always need a few more hand around for the shoot.
Far to often on a 47 or 72 hour project you can not get enough people and the
few that you have, work their butts off to get everything done on time.

Terry

However, if there are crew standing around without specific jobs, they can get in the way, start screwing around and bring the mood down. A 48 hour contest kind of relies on everyone firing on all cylinders mentally and physically for the duration. If you have 3 generic production assistants standing around complaining there's nothing to do, with no tasks, its too many crew. Granted, this will probably never happen (there's ALWAYS something to do), but we had to fire a guy last year for complaining when he was asked to go fetch some water.

It all amounts to pre-production...have a crew list with specific jobs and a schedule for the weekend and stick to it as much as you can. We're doing ours in Detroit next weekend and have our schedule down to half-hour blocks.

I worked on one and our team had about 23 people. Out of that, there were about 6 or 7 actors, so the rest were crew and we needed every single one of them!

We had:
1 Director (who co-produced with the lead actor)
2 Writers (though we all contributed)
4 Associate Producers (I was one; we all had different duties)
1 DP w/ his own equipt.
1 Sound guy
2 PA's (1 also served as Asst Camera, the other held the boom, when they weren't doing the usual PA stuff. We had a third scheduled, but he never showed up.)
1 Editor
1 Asst. Editor
1 Set Designer

Actors did their own makeup and wardrobe, and we all shlepped equipment. At one point, I recall I was carrying the script & clapper in one hand, bag of lighting equipment and cables in the other, about 4 umbrellas under my arm (I was also umbrella wrangler when a sudden summer shower happened during our outdoor shoot), and a guitar on my back.

Last edited:
It depends if you can handle them or not.

It takes some skill and management and an experienced Prodcution dept. to handle a lot of people.

So depending on you level of experience, no, more people will help things get done fast and effectively if managed right.

Back