• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Using Two Boom Mics?

Say for a larger scale scene, (characters much farther apart, when it is not practical to use one mic)
do I have to worry about the 2 mics interferring with each other?

Or when I run them both through a mixer on set, will they then act as a larger mic per say?

Thanks in advance

Say for a larger scale scene, (characters much farther apart, when it is not practical to use one mic)
do I have to worry about the 2 mics interferring with each other?

Or when I run them both through a mixer on set, will they then act as a larger mic per say?

Thanks in advance

Alcove, or one of the Audio Gurus might have a better answer, but I think running them both through a mixer and then in to the recorder as a single input you'll have no problems.

Each mic should be recorded onto its own separate track, mic A on channel #1, mic B on channel #2. DO NOT -repeat - DO NOT mix them together as there is always the possibility of phase problems such as phase cancellation.

Quite a few may tell you that it's okay to mix them together, and about 80% of the time there is no problem. But do you want to risk the other 20%? Let's put it this way, you have a one-in-five chance that your audio, or parts of it, will be unusable.

Yup, Alcove nailed it. YOu'd want each mic on a separate "track" or channel (meaning one left, one right side of the stereo on the tape). It's incredibly simple to make them mono or dual mono in post.

could you elaborate on how to make it dual mono?

In Digital Performer or Pro Tools - I don't know about other programs - you simply create a copy of the mono track and drag both the original and the copy to a stereo track. You then have the same information on both the left and right tracks. There's not much reason to do that, however, and, again, you run the risk of phasing problems.

Back