HD Camcorder Upgrade on a budget

Hello,

Well my friend and I like to make short movies as a hobby and we have decided to switch to HD. We have a Canon GL2 right now, but we're going to have to get a smaller HD camcorder because we can't really afford another large prosumer one. We are selling the GL2 (soon hopefully) and we'd like to spend under $1500, but closer to $1000.

We are used to a lot of the features of the Canon GL2, but I know we can't get the same thing in a sub-$1500 HD camera. Mostly, we want something that will produce a nice picture (large sensor) and shoot in 24p. Also, we are probably planning on switching to flash-based memory instead of tapes.

We really liked the Canon Vixia HF-S100, but the fact that it has no viewfinder seems to be a deal breaker. Now I'm considering the Panasonic HDC-TM300. It seems great: 3CCDs, multi function ring (focus,zoom,etc.), viewfinder, flash memory, full manual controls (as opposed to the HF-S100 priority modes), "24p". My only concerns really are the touch screen (although the auto focus seems helpful) and I'm wondering how well it performs in low light. I also think the Canon HV40 sounds on par with the HF-S100 except it uses tapes, but I really like that it has "true" 24p and I hear Canon 24p actually improves low light performance.

Another thing to note, is we probably are getting a DOF adapter (Jag35 Pro bundle with lens). Also, I'm not expecting much out of the sound quality, but we will eventually get a mic to replace the built-in one. It would be nice if the built in one was at least acceptable for an amateur film.

So, which camera should we get based on our needs? I'm really leaning toward the HDC-TM300, although I like Canon's quality. I feel like all of the cameras we've looked at have similar features expcept nothing is perfect. Please list any other suggestions within our budget too.

Thanks!

At the upper consumer level, Canon stands out from the pack in overall product quality. If can deal with tapes I would try for the HV series. Good call on the Jag35. For a low-end adapter its a good call.

For sound, buy a beachtek or juicedlink xlr to mini adapter and set aside about $250 for a shotgun mic, DIY boom, and xlr cable.

Yea.. Canon HF200. Records to an SD card, no moving parts, manual focus, manual exposure, mic input, A/V out. It's a great camera for $600.... Single cmos though.

With your budget you can get that cam, a Jag35, Canon 50mm lens, Shrigg Rig, external monitor and Dfocus....

rig2.jpg

Hmm, well I'm stuck between the HV40 and the TM300 right now. I like the HV40 because Canon is a great brand and it has progressive recording (rather than a 60i wrapper format), which is great because we want to use 24p mostly (but 30p could be good too). However, I like a lot about the Panasonic camera because it has that cool manual ring, it uses flash memory, it has 3 CCDs (but it's pretty much an equivalent pixel count give or take), the manual controls sound a little better (I hear the Canon has only shutter or aperture priority but that might be fine).

The Panasonic is a little more expensive, which would you recommend out of the two?

Go shoot both of them and see.

If you get a 35mm adapter you will have manual focus there all the time. I would recommend the Canon HG or HF series. No moving parts.

Shooting the Canon in pf24 is no problem. I use TMPGexpress and convert all the footage to any format I like easily.

Either camera will give you good results if you learn them.....

Go shoot both of them and see.

If you get a 35mm adapter you will have manual focus there all the time. I would recommend the Canon HG or HF series. No moving parts.

Shooting the Canon in pf24 is no problem. I use TMPGexpress and convert all the footage to any format I like easily.

Either camera will give you good results if you learn them.....

As much as I like the HF series (HF S10/100 particularly) I feel like a lack of a viewfinder could be a problem in certain situations. So is it better to get the HV40 or the Panasonic TM300?

Back