Young filmmaker

First off, A little about me; I'm interested in filming some short films and documentaries.

Hi! I've been lurking around the forum and have been looking over the different "Help me" threads, But... I still cant see my self running out and buying a camera without at least making a thread my self :) ... sorry.

Any way, I've got a budget of about3 grand and am looking for what y'all (Texas sorry) think is the best bang for its buck. is there a camera that just out shines the rest for low end processional cameras? I have heard something about the "Red (Brand name)" Scarlet camera soon to be released and was wondering if i should just wait for it? Or are these other low end cameras like the Sony HD1000U just fine.

... Ive always assumed cameras large enough to be shoulder mounted were better than the smaller camcorders. Any one have a camera for about 3k they think would work for me?

From my own research im leaning towards a Sony hdr fx-1, what do you think?

Thanks in advance, I really need some help :yes:

Last edited:
In the three large range any camera from the major
manufacturers is going to be great.

Sony, Panasonic, Canon and JVC make excellent cameras
in that price range. The new JVC GY-HM100U is an
amazing camera and is selling for $3,500. But the Sony
HDR FX1 is an excellent camera, too.

i would definitely look into the RED scarlet more. The company owner (Jim Jannard i think is his name. he started oakley, made billions of dollars, and decided to direct the rest of his life to making the best digital cameras, and the best digital camera company)

the new scarlet and epic cameras arent sold as one camera, they are several different components that you buy seperately and they are all completely interchangable. you buy a brain (the main part that has the sensor and such) then a lense, viewfinder, function handle, etc. the cheapest scarlet will be $3750, but i believe it has a fixed lense and isnt interchangable. but the next one up has a brain that costs $2500, but i'm not sure how much all of the other accessories with it cost.

If i were you, i would save up your money and try to get the new RED. not only are the specs better, but if you want to upgrade your brain (or any other part) you can sell yours back to the company and put it towards your upgrade. ask canon if you can do that!

also, all of the release dates and prices of these cameras are subject to change, but all for the better. they are SERIOUSLY dedicated to keep working until their products are the absolute best they can produce.

sorry about the long post, i get a little excited when it comes to RED :)

but if you cant wait, or you dont think you can save more money, canon xh-a1. popular camera

however, that uses ccd sensors, and i believe cmos sensors are better. look at sony hdr fx7

damn, long post sorry. good luck

Keep in mind you have approx. $3,000 to create video. Which means that budget will be spread across a camera, sound equipment, and then there is also the question of software and accessories. The camera will obviously be the most expensive, but keep in mind a good tripod with a fluid head, shotgun mic with possibly a boom and xlr cable, then do you have enough hard drive space on your computer or an editing program that can go further than iMovie. I would highly suggest buying Final Cut Express for $200 if you do not have a decent editing program that is non-linear. Just some things to think about. I don't know what you have already, but it is good to factor total production costs into a startup budget.

And a note on the Sony camera. I would avoid Sony until you get to the EX1 level, the colors and production quality aren't great. I would look at the Panasonic DVX100b and the Canon XH-A1 for starters. For $250, the Rode NTG-2 is a great shotgun mic. And then don't forget editing, and about $200 for a good tripod.

like costa said, the scarlet isnt out yet. the only one out is the red ONE, which no i havent used but i know enough about it and the company to understand its the best imo.

i didnt see prices for anything other than the brains on the red site. the scarlet 2/3" is the cheapest, and the complete kit (direct quote) is $3750. and i cant think of any other meaning for the word complete other than thats all you need. i could be wrong.

First off to everyone, Thank you for your help.

Keep in mind you have approx. $3,000 to create video. Which means that budget will be spread across a camera, sound equipment, and then there is also the question of software and accessories. The camera will obviously be the most expensive, but keep in mind a good tripod with a fluid head, shotgun mic with possibly a boom and xlr cable, then do you have enough hard drive space on your computer or an editing program that can go further than iMovie. I would highly suggest buying Final Cut Express for $200 if you do not have a decent editing program that is non-linear. Just some things to think about. I don't know what you have already, but it is good to factor total production costs into a startup budget.

And a note on the Sony camera. I would avoid Sony until you get to the EX1 level, the colors and production quality aren't great. I would look at the Panasonic DVX100b and the Canon XH-A1 for starters. For $250, the Rode NTG-2 is a great shotgun mic. And then don't forget editing, and about $200 for a good tripod.

The budget is for a camera alone, i have more than enough room on my comp for what i will ever need and own editing software.

It looks like alot of people are pumped up about the scarlet. Is this camera with out a doubt better than the other cameras in the 3k range?

If so i might ( as unwilling as i am) be able to hold off until this is released. I wouldn't want to miss out on such a great deal. Thoughts?

Im off to work, hoping for some more replies when i get home :)

Last edited:
My advice is go with the sony or JVC, or even the Canon. Waiting is the worst idea, as in the time that you wait, you can work on your 'craft', rather than sitting and waiting (I know, you have other things to do, but film wise, in my book, you're better off doing rather than anything else).

And when the Scarlet is out...you can always sell your sony/jvc/canon, getting less than what you paid, but something, and if you've made a couple of films, get the scarlet and run, as you have new abilities that you never knew you had.

That's my advice. Take it or leave it, it's free!

Chris

My advice is go with the sony or JVC, or even the Canon. Waiting is the worst idea, as in the time that you wait, you can work on your 'craft', rather than sitting and waiting (I know, you have other things to do, but film wise, in my book, you're better off doing rather than anything else).

And when the Scarlet is out...you can always sell your sony/jvc/canon, getting less than what you paid, but something, and if you've made a couple of films, get the scarlet and run, as you have new abilities that you never knew you had.

That's my advice. Take it or leave it, it's free!

Chris

Thanks for good tip Cibao. I've been up all night looking at different cameras and decided you were right. Not only is the scarlet going to be much more expensive than i thought but it will be quite a while before i could ever own one. Ie; Much more time for me to film with a camera i have access too.

Looks like I'm buying the HDR-FX1000 .... Unless any one has any serious issues or tips before i go hit the "buy" button.

*off to bed for now*

i'll have to respectfully disagree. the scarlet is supposed to come out this fall. if you were to get a camera to start practicing now, i would get all of your other equipt, like the mic, software, lighting, start writing, whatever whatever, and work on those aspects of filmmaking. it will have a crappy picture but everything else will be cool, then when this scarlet hits the market you can complete ur toolbox. but seriously, i'm excited about this cam and idk why everyone else isnt! go to the red website and read all the forums. i mean you can do what you want, thats just my honest opinion.

i'll have to respectfully disagree. the scarlet is supposed to come out this fall. if you were to get a camera to start practicing now, i would get all of your other equipt, like the mic, software, lighting, start writing, whatever whatever, and work on those aspects of filmmaking. it will have a crappy picture but everything else will be cool, then when this scarlet hits the market you can complete ur toolbox. but seriously, i'm excited about this cam and idk why everyone else isnt! go to the red website and read all the forums. i mean you can do what you want, thats just my honest opinion.

I spent a lot of time on their forums last night and it looked to me like the brain alone, one of the like 5 scarlet brains to choose from, would cost about the 3k i intended to spend on the entire camera. Since ill have to add all the other add ons and stuff. Don't get me wrong, from what i've seen the scarlet will be great, but its too expensive ( for me at the moment) and will take forever for a release date to even be announced.

Am i wrong here?

no ur not entirely wrong. most of the brains do cost at least 3k, but you can get the complete kit (not exactly sure what that includes, but its 3750 which is a little out of ur range. on the link i posted, you can see that the complete is due out fall 09 but ur right there isnt an exact release date yet.

i really recommend doing what i explained in my last post, starting with a dirt cheap cam and work on getting good at the other stuff, then when you can afford it get a sweet cam. unless you dont really want to wait then i'd say canon xh a1

The Scarlet is very interesting, but who knows when it will really come out. Also, you'd need many thousand of dollars of accessories to really round out the package.

I'd look at something like the Sony A1U, a decent shotgun mic and a small light kit. Or a used DVX100A or B. If you go HD make sure you have a computer and software that can handle it.

Scott

For 3,000 your best bet is going to be with a used Canon XH-A1. The Sony FX1000 is still a CMOS sensor. The Canon is known for its quality, wide popularity, and has some of the best colors at that price range. I'm not too impressed with the picture from Sony cameras until you get to the EX1. Watch some videos of Canon and Panasonics (great color) and comparable Sony cameras. Just my advice.

oh and costa, where did you get the number 20,000? did you find prices on the components or is that just a guess?

It was a quote from a RED user on the forum. Since not all the prices are out for each item, it's an estimate.

I'm sure you could do with a bit less then that for 'essentials'.

BTW: There is a line for scarletts and Epics, so just because it comes out, doesn't mean you can get it right away. (Unless your a RED owner)

OP: I would highly suggest the DVX100.

First off THANK YOU to all the posters helping me deliberate...

Here is my plan thus far; Though i might look into a scarlet a little after its released, I am going to buy one of the cameras you Fine posters have recommended. if the scarlet eventually catches my eye ill trade in the camera I'm about to decide on.

On to the deliberation...

1. DVX100 PRICE: 2k
  2. Canon XH-A1 PRICE: 3k
  3. Sony A1U PRICE: 2.5k
  4. HDR-FX1000 PRICE: 3.1k

Back