• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Short Film Narrative

Hi, as part of my A2 media coursework I have to create a short film. As part of my pre-production I have to produce a 1800 word essay on a selected question. This essay should include information gained from focus groups and Q/A's with other people.

This is why I need your help.

My question is - Research into the different narrative techniques of short films and alternative ways in which linear narrative can be used
I.E - linear narrative can be used in short films, but in many different ways which are very experimental compared to feature length movies. For example some short films use only digetic sound, or only non digetic sound.

Also, what different narrative techniques do you feel exist within short films.
and how do you feel narrative can develop throughout the short through use of camera work, music and enigma codes?

Yikes!

I've been making a living making movies for
20 years. I've written shorts and features
and TV. I've directed shorts and features. I
have no clue what you just wrote. I had
never heard the term diegetic sound until now.

And "enigma codes"? I have no idea what that
means.

Are there different narrative techniques in
short films? When I create a short film I just
write a story that interests me and shoot it. I
never think about enigma codes or diegetic sound
or different narrative techniques.

But I dropped out of high school.

I look forward to reading the answers on this thread.
I should learn a lot.

Non Digetic sound - sound which has been dubbed over the short. E.G backing music.

An enigma code is something that raises a question and hopes to push the narrative forward.
E.G - in simple terms - a door opening would be an enigma code because the audience is posed the question "Who's opening the door?"
This is then usually answered by an action code - I.E - protagonist walking through the door.

whats the media course like is it any good

Yeah man, its wicked - its pretty open ended in the sense we can basically choose whatever we want to do for our course work, with film options being Documentary, Thriller trailer, Short Film etc

and then seperate Print Options

I'm hoping to do a media course at uni,does anyone know any good ones?

Back