Letus question (adapters)

I'm kind of new to all of this and I just have a few questions on some of the letus adapters.

I know that people use the 35 adapters to get a higher quality picture, but exactly why do people use them? Who uses them?

Thanks

A 35mm adapter lets use use a manual focus lens on your prosumer camera. The main reason is to give your camera a shallower depth of field.
When you shoot video with your camera, everything from the foreground to the background is all in focus. If you watch a movie the subject is normally in focus and the background is not.

Most people use an adapter just to achieve this look. It looks much less like video and more like film (which most people find easier to look at).

An adapter consists of several components but they all achieve the same end result (in varying degrees of quality). In short your camera focuses on a small piece of ground glass that the new lens projects an image onto.

Since there is another lens in the chain the image on your camera will be inverted. There are several ways to compensate for this, like holding the camera upside down (or using a shrigg rig) ,flipping the footage in post or in the case of the Letus adapters they build in another set of optics to flip the image again before reaching your camera (hence the price).

Adapters usually come in 3 flavors:

Static: Just the lens and screen elements. (kind of a pain to keep the GG free of dust).
Vibrating: The GG screen vibrates eliminating any grain or dust from showing on the screen.
Rotating: The same as above, except the glass rotates opposed to vibrating.

If you would like to get into shooting this way, you may want to try something cheaper. I would recommend a JAG35 adapter with a canon 50mm lens. This is a standard entry level setup that will get you some really nice results.
You can step into shooting shallow depth of field shots for around $250.

Keep in mind none of the adapters come with lenses....

Back