• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Game of Kings - My first short film :)

Game of Kings is my first short film.....

before this I had never tried to plan and produce any video work before and I've got to admit, it was pretty fun. This short film was my Final Major Project for college and I had to learn the skills to write and shoot a film within 9 weeks.

Since then, I have learn t a lot about cinematography and how camera angles have to coincide with the story telling as much as the script.

http://vimeo.com/5255199

This film is based on visual and audible metaphors of life and death, following the rules of chess through representation of soldiers on a battlefield.

Thanks again
Tony ;)

That was really impressive. Especially given the crash-course you must have done in 9 weeks.

Maybe a bit too long (15 minutes is a lot of time to fill, without a serious switchup of some kind), but still... great work.

The only irritating aspect was the clicking sound in the audio. Sounds too similar to the pops & clicks I end up with, when I have a dodgy audio track. It really bugged me, even after I determined that it was just part of your sound design. (At least... I hope it was :D).

Thanks Zen,

The popping and clicking in the audio was quite annoying to me, because i had to edit the film with headphones on and i couldn't hear them until I rendered the film and heard it loud for the first time.

Do you know of any software that could sort this problem out?

Thanks again for the comments
Tony

A Panasonic AG HVX201E P2 PAL HD Camcorder,
this isn't the highest quality version of the film.

It belonged to the college, they were trusting enough to let me borrow it for 6 days

Haha friendly fire chess! That was the best student film I have ever seen, and more thrilling than the Professional stuff out these days. Most student films hold my interest for ten of their cliched seconds but this was amazing. The action was hard hitting, the fights well choreographed and the cinematography was awesome. The sound design was perfect and the last part where the soldier goes on a blade killing rampage is amazing. This is ten times better than anyones final major in my college, They teach you well in the Midlands

By the way I thought the clicking sound was part of the tense sound design so didn't mind it but if you did want to remove it from the soundtrack then theres a sound program called Adobe Audition and theres a click/hiss remover on that which works well.

The popping and clicking in the audio was quite annoying to me, because i had to edit the film with headphones on and i couldn't hear them until I rendered the film and heard it loud for the first time.

Do you know of any software that could sort this problem out?

If I have sound issues, I just hand it off to someone who knows how to deal with it. :)

Most times they are using Pro Tools.

Then they yell at me a bit, 'cos I can't give them an OMF. (I use Adobe suite for editing)

Audition (mentioned above) is included in the Adobe suite (and in the right hands, can be great) - I just don't have those right hands. Better off just leaving it to someone who roxxors it, in my case.

Interesting that it did turn out to be pop/clicks after all. :huh:

Thanks motorstorm & Zen :) , I got audition and have removed all of the clicks, hiss and pops, video shall be up later today with corrected audio.

Hey Tony, I enjoyed this a lot. This is very impressive, even more so for being your first short film. I liked the metaphor of the chess game with the soldiers on the battlefield. It felt very believable and intense.....Nice work.

Thanks benj09,
When I wrote it, I knew that me and my friends don't have much in the way of acting skill, so I tried to make the movie as physical as possible. Embracing my limitations :)

Back