Finding Actors: FRUSTRATING. Help?

So, I live in Cerritos, California. You'd think cus I live in California it'd be full of actors, right? ERR. WRONG!

Cerritos is about an hour away from Los Angeles, and my parents won't give me money for a cab and won't let me get a car (I'm 17). I try to improvise with neighboring cities but it's so hard to find decent actors that look SOMEWHAT good (trying not be shallow). But I know there are some people that want to act but I just need to find them! Anybody know how? Internet site referrences would be awesome. Just don't link starsearchcasting.

So, I live in Cerritos, California. You'd think cus I live in California it'd be full of actors, right? ERR. WRONG!

Cerritos is about an hour away from Los Angeles, and my parents won't give me money for a cab and won't let me get a car (I'm 17). I try to improvise with neighboring cities but it's so hard to find decent actors that look SOMEWHAT good (trying not be shallow). But I know there are some people that want to act but I just need to find them! Anybody know how? Internet site referrences would be awesome. Just don't link starsearchcasting.

Here's one option that works well for us: go to Myspace and do an advanced search for the keyword 'Actor' and put in your location (if you can use your zip and the distance from that, do it). You should have a TON of actors pop up in the search. If you like someone's look, or if they have examples of their work online to see and you like it...send them an email with the pitch and details.

You can also do this with other social networks.

Also, you can post something on Mandy.com about needing actors. Give a synopsis and breakdown of characters needed.

You can check near by schools also...

Post on Craigslist...

It's not odd you know for actors to travel an hour for a good movie...you live an hour outside of LA...there are millions of actors around you!!! You just have to blow your horn loud enough.

Good luck.

We all had to start with actors who aren't experienced.
We all had to start with actors who aren't as attractive.

You might have to start that way, too. Nothing wrong
with working with people who are as inexperienced as
you are.

I made dozens of films when I lived in Anaheim. I found
a LOT of actors in that area. There are several youth
theater groups in your area. There are a lot of acting
schools. Check out Brea's Youth Theater. And research
the others. I know there about 10.

CSUF has an excellent drama department. Lots of
actors there.

The Cerritos Center for the Performing Arts holds
classes. There will be actors there.

Cypress College has a drama department.

What about Cerritos College? I used to get actors from
there often.

Most people in your area know someone who works at
Disney. There are a lot of actors working in the shows
there. Most are just getting started and looking to work
on student films.

It pretty much sucks until you can hold auditions. I used friends until I was 17 and moved out.
My films sucked so it didn't even matter, it was all practice.

We are filmmakers based in UK and we agree that casting good actors you can afford is always a big problem.

In the last project we used a website called Casting Call Pro and we thought it was great. Here's the US version:
http://www.us.castingcallpro.com/

If my memory is correct you can register yourself as a company (if you don't have a company you should be able to make up one) for free and you can either post jobs or do some advanced search.

As M1cha1 says there are loads of good actors who are up for travelling a bit far for an audition so long as you can convince them that your project is great... But obviously when it comes to actually employing them the closer they live the better as many actors would probably want at least their expenses covered.

It is always difficult to raise money to make a film and it's often unavoidable to get actors to work with very low pay or even no pay, but one thing we can do regardless the budget is being respectful to them and build a good relationship with them...

Best wishes for your project.
Itsuka

There are more actors than you can shake a stick at around your area, tbh.

Including me; shameless plug ;)

You do have a disadvantage with not having transportation, but that's not the end of the world. If you're serious about making your film happen, you'll figure something out.

You can also find great actors by joining local acting classes. The entire cast of my last short was picked from those; not only do you get to meet a bunch of great talent, but you get to work with them 1-on-1 and really get to know them first.

Good luck. :cool:

I've used the website StarNow.com.au (Australian version of the site) to find my talent, as I'm close to 5 hours away from the big smoke (Sydney). I'm working with no budget, and the talent seem more than happy to come down on their own steam and work with me for two days. It was really quiet convenient...
Anyway, theres the US version of StarNow (StarNow.com), you could put a free advert up on that and see if you can get some applications.
Good luck.

Gather up friends. I know it seems unprofessional, but you can count on them to work. Usually. NEVER have friends without experience crew for you, even if it's just mindless tasks, but always have them act. I used my friend Lisa Porep as an extra in one project, and now I cast her in everything because she's that good (and she's a real joy to have on set. She has sound effects for hair).

My friend Erin had no reason to be part of my project, but I asked her to be. And she blew me away. My one regret is I don't have room for her in Half Fish.

At least get a few of them on. My first film and some of my class projects were just with friends. After that, I had to do casting calls. They get easier once they see that you are, in fact, partially cast.

Then again, I've only made two films and a bunch of class projects. Other people's advice might contradict it. It might be better. But why not?

Gather up friends. I know it seems unprofessional, but you can count on them to work. Usually. NEVER have friends without experience crew for you, even if it's just mindless tasks, but always have them act. I used my friend Lisa Porep as an extra in one project, and now I cast her in everything because she's that good (and she's a real joy to have on set. She has sound effects for hair).

My friend Erin had no reason to be part of my project, but I asked her to be. And she blew me away. My one regret is I don't have room for her in Half Fish.

At least get a few of them on. My first film and some of my class projects were just with friends. After that, I had to do casting calls. They get easier once they see that you are, in fact, partially cast.

Then again, I've only made two films and a bunch of class projects. Other people's advice might contradict it. It might be better. But why not?

Not sure about the statement in red. I understand sometimes friends can turn out to be awesome actors (we've found some that started as extras and moved to leads)...but what do you mean never let them crew at any level? Why? I'm not saying use an inexperienced friend to DP or direct...but to PA, help with set design, cord wrangle, set up and break down...why not?

Last edited:
We wanted to branch out for this year's 48 Hour Film Project in Detroit and decided to have auditions for our team. My producer put an announcement up on Facebook and within a day this announcement had been reproduced by two local talent agencies. We had about 75 folks send headshots and resumes. Invited 50 of them to audition. Rented two rooms at the local library for four hours. Everyone showed up on time, very professional, with resumes and headshots. I hired 8 of them. Now we have a diverse cast of actors of all colors and ages and specialties. All of this for an unpaid, non-union gig with a script that won't even be written until the weekend we shoot. And I thought we'd be using the same dudes we used last year...

There are actors around you...professional actors with experience. Have your story ready, have an audition location ready, have shooting dates and locations prepared and put an ad up on facebook, craigslist, etc. They'll come rolling in, trust me. The more professional an appearance you present the more professional response you'll get.

Back