Camera Under $1500AU? Where?

Yep, basically the title says it all.

I've been using a camera phone (Nokia N95) for my last bunch of films, utalizing what I had available. Now that I've got some money to dish out on a good camera, I'm wondering what I should get.
I simply cannot wade through the various 1000 or so review pages on all the cameras out there. GIVE ME THE LOW DOWN. What type (DV,HDD...?) How much (Under $1500AU) Where can I get it?

Now, also while I'm here... I've been warned against the hard drive-based camcorders, simply because of the EXTREMELY low quality and compression these cameras give/do. I'm leaning towards a Mini-DV camcorder, I've seen some really nice DV footage from various cameras.

I've been told that the Canon HV20 (and it's various younger brothers) is the BEST out there. Is it, or are people pissing in my pocket?

Thanks in advance for the info.

That thread doesn't answer my question. Is there anyone here that owns a Canon HV40, that can tell me if they're worth the $1300 (AU) that is being asked, and if they perform well under lowlight conditions. Also, how do they go with extra lens attachments, mikes and lights? I'm willing to shell out the money for this camera IF it can perform. I plan on keeping this cam for a while.

Back