Panasonic DVX100b vs. HMC150

I'm new to this forum, but as a "prospective" documentary maker, I figure you all are good company to keep. I've been reading a bit about cameras over the last few months, and I think I have the choice down to the DVX100b (SD) and the HMC150 (HD). I know that I don't NEED an HD camera, but here's my rationale for favoring the HMC150: If I get the DVX100b, I would need to buy a deck to transfer DV tapes to my computer (or risk wearing out the camera by using it as a deck), whereas the HMC150 would not require the purchase of a deck since it records directly to memory cards instead of tapes. So, to summarize, I think it would actual cost more to buy the SD camera (plus deck plus tapes) than to buy the HD camera (plus memory cards).

I just wanted to bounce my idea off people who are much more knowledgable that I am about these things. Anyone have anything to offer with regard to this decision? Are there any other big factors I should consider? Thanks!

:welcome:

Go with what will work for you! Different people have different reasons for choosing one over another, so if the deck is the issue, you've got your answer ;)

Back