What's your most efficient filmmaking crew?

When you're shooting a film, what does your production crew look like? More than likely you've got your director, DP and actors, so what other people do you bring on board? Do you try to bring in grips and lighting, ADs and APs, or do you typically cut it down to something smaller?

Thanks, I'm trying to get a feel for what sort of crew I can get away with and still make a good film on a budget. Also feel free to point me to films you've made so I can see how your process works out.

My minimum crew is:

DP/operator
1st AC
1st AD
script supervisor
gaffer
dolly grip/key grip
2 grip/electric
makeup/costumer
set dresser/props
mixer
boom op
craft services/caterer
5 PA’s who each have specific tasks

A total of 18

I will love to answer as Cakebread asked
what does your production crew look like?

Recently we are shooting our final project of College (the film making course) and after a shoot of a complete day at 45 degree temperature we all were looking like labor of a 4th world country with blood, sand, etc.... :)
My friend was forced to say that we are looking horrible poor labor rather then the film makers.lolzzz

To mostly echo Directorik, the BARE minimum for me

Production Manager
DP/operator
1st AC
1st AD
script supervisor
2 or 3 Grip/Gaffer combo
makeup
costume
mixer/Boom Operator
craft services/caterer
3 to 5 PAs

so 15 or so.

It depends on how big the shoot is. For my min. on a short would be:

Director
1AD
Producer
UPM
DP
1AC
2AC
Mixer
Boom op
Makeup
scripty
Gaffer
Key Grip
(add g/e depending on equipment used)
Craft PA
PA's (Depending on size of production)

-Producer (Deals with producing whatever we need)
-Director
-1st AD (Set Manager, schedule nazi)
-Script Supervisor (don't leave home without your AD and SS)
-Actor Wrangler/ Rehearsal Coach (Prehearses the actors while Director is dealing with the Cam team and SS determining shots - they have sat in on the script breakdowns with the Director, AD, DP and 1st AD and knows the script as well as the director and what the director wants form the actors)

-DP
-Cam OP
-Gaffer
-2xGrips (they turn into dolly grip and cable wrangler during the shot)

-Boom OP

-Art Director
-Artist x 2

-Makeup/Costumer x 2

-Caterer x 2

I can make do with 3 people, but this setup works really well for most work at my current level.

So 18 seems to be the consensus here ;)

We run a smaller crew on Scorpio Film Releasing features (currently have 8 features all of which have seen distribution).

* Director/DP/Camera Op/Writer
* Producer/Set Designer/Writer
* Lighting Designer/Gaffer/Grip
* Script Supervisor/PA
* Costume Designer
* Actors (all of them help with crewing--ie. I'm one of the leads, but I boom, bounce and do makeup when I'm not in a scene)

Sometimes we have:
* 1AD
* Cam Op (mostly the director shoots though)

Many of us wear multiple hats, and newcomers to our sets are blown away by how efficient we are. We can bang out 14 pages a day, and shoot a feature in three months (of only weekends).

It's all about how well people know their jobs, not having any egos, and being a 'family.'

Last edited:
You can absolutely make a movie with MUCH less than 18 people. The
more people you have the more they bring their passion and skill
to the project. It’s fine to have actors double as crew when not
in the scene - it’s better to have a dedicated boom op who really
knows the job and is good at it.

I have directed, been the DP and operated the camera a few times.
Nothing wrong with that at all. But I feel it separates me from
the actors - I have to split my time between the acting and the
lighting/operating.

Many people feel they don’t really need a first. But as our
Founder mentioned, having a dedicated first can make a huge
difference in the productivity of the shoot.

When I can afford a UPM I use one. They make a huge difference,
too. When I can’t, the first and the producer divvy up that job.

A lot of this comes down to how you shoot. The more people on a
set - each with a specific job, rather than sharing duties - the
easier it is on each person. Over a 12 or 18 day shoot this can
make a big difference. On a short or a feature shot over several
weekends I know this isn’t as much of an issue. As crew, I’m fine
wearing several hats (gaffer, grip, dolly, boom op, AC) for a one
or two day shoot. I get really worn out doing all of that on an
18 day shoot.

Oh absolutely Rik...there definitely are pros and cons to running a smaller crew. I understand your point totally...and I would probably agree that an 18 day straight shoot might be more difficult if everyone had to multitask...

But really it depends on the film. I don't get tired of multitasking at all, at least not yet. I'm such a film geek I can perform in my scenes and grab the boom for the next scene without skipping a beat. I love it...I may be an exception because I'm not burnt on film making yet, or I'm a big film geek...but I think as long as everyone is totally passionate, skilled and friendly...you can easily get away with multi-hat positions.

I think sometimes, what I've seen anyhow, is indie film makers try to get so into 'being legit' that they have way too many people on set. Quite frankly I think it can sometimes create more chaos than being a benefit. I mean, why do you need a lighting designer with an Arri set and a DP with an Arri set, and a grip with three peppers and a 1K all waiting to put up lights? For one thing, 90% of indie sets I've worked on only set up 3 or 4 lights at a time...why there are over a dozen different 1ks and peppers I'll never know. It just takes up space. And to have 4 people working on setting up lights...makes no sense to me. We have one or two people doing it with 5 lights total, and we get by just fine (and look good).

Of course quality may be an issue. I wouldn't recommend people multi-task if they don't know what they are doing. If your actors don't know how to handle a boom, or don't know about mic placement and framing, either teach them or get a boom op. The beauty of a smaller crew is only really worth it if everyone knows each others jobs. :)

Do you know what I mean? I think having too many people and too much equipment can hinder a production and not help it.

Also, to be the devil's advocate...the term 'too many chefs in the kitchen' has come up on several indie sets I've worked on...lol.

Anyway. I'm just rambling. I totally agree that having a quality crew designated to do their job can be a good thing...I'm just saying that sometimes people are standing around doing nothing...and that's where a multi-hat production can get it done just as fast and just as well with less chaos.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited:
Back