do I need to use a 'nice' camera for an interview-driven documentary?

Hello all,

I've decided to shoot a documentary. Basically, I intend to interview various persons of interest from around town and edit the interviews together into a thematically unified film. I am particularly interested in life-changing choices, especially those which are contrary to social norms/pressures.

I have no serious experience with video or film but I do have a Canon ZR500 mini-DV camcorder as well as an older Canon super-8 camcorder. I'm thinking that I'll use the first of these machines because its smaller and easier to deal with. The ZR does have a distinctive motor sound, but I expect that using a microphone would substantially alleviate its sonic interference.

I also have the option of spending several hundred dollars and renting a much fancier camera (Sony PMW-X1 HD for example) from the local video co-op. I don't really want to do this... do you think that my image-quality will be seriously compromised if I choose to stick with my inexpensive handy-cams? Also, are there any good reasons to consider using the super-8 opposed to the mini-DV?

Thanks a million,

- Mothro

Since you have a Canon ZR500 have you considered shooting
some footage with it, looking at it and then deciding if image-wise,
it's good enough?

Shooting super 8 is a nice option. More expensive, but super 8
can look great. You could do a test. Set both cameras side by side,
shoot a scene, look at both and decide if image-wise it's good enough.

Since you don't want to rent the Sony PMW-X1, it seems to me
that doing a test first would be of great value to you.

If you are considering shooting all these interviews on super8 you may as well just rent a good camera. All the film and developing costs will be just as high, if not more than renting.

I do think the quality from older DV cameras sucks a little bit. Newer handycams such as the Canon HD range (HV20, HV30) are extremely good and I bet they dont cost a whole lot to rent.

Also you don't need HD. What about renting a good SD camera such as a DVX or XL2?

I think the choice of camera all depends on your plans for the documentary. I talked with a woman from PBS at the Edinburgh International Film Festival the other day, and she said as a broadcaster they want films to be at least 720p, 24p, and 16:9. She said if you are looking to have it acquired that was the minimum requirements they look for as far as image quality and aspect ratio.

If it is for the web or personal, go with what is affordable and looks best. I like the Super 8 option. Nothing beats film, but it is more expensive to do than DV. I am a documentary guy myself, I hope this goes well for you. All else aside, number one thing is the story and your passion to tell it.

Thanks guys!

I think I'll be sticking with my cheap camera in the end.

Also, there was a typo in my original post - the older cam isn't super-8 but 8mm video... quite different.

- M

Back