Seeking budget tips for feature length films

I'm working with a production company and right now we're trying to tighten our budget to be able to produce many feature length pictures (think 6-7) simultaneously while keeping costs much lower for all of them. We produce smaller, indie-type films that focus more on character and plot than action or effects. I'm looking for any pre-production tips people might have in terms of planning and executing this sort of strategy, and what advice you might have from your own experience. If anyone has thoughts on trying to manage this type of model I'd very much love to hear it, thanks!

Instead of us telling you how to budget why don't you submit your preproduction/budget strategy and we'll all point out what you've missed or where you have made erroneous assumptions.

If your working on a tight budget, tightening it is only going to be cutting corners.

Knocking out days, or crew, or pay, your just going to make things a little less smooth and safe with each thing you cut.

why not two films back to back finish them a dark week then fire up two more films back to back. biggest problem is cash. it will eat you up fast. what type of budget r u working on for just one film. or what is the total budget for all 6 - 7.....

better yet depending on the skilled people you have around you have people still searching out investors while say you have the first two secured and keep running from that.

my other big question is quality vs quanity? can you effectively give the enegry and time needed in these features?

just questions to ask yourself...

As a screen writer I would advice you to find authors to design productions with you that have block buster potential material and are concentrated to very few locations. Give them a year to write and stay in contact.
You could stand for creative quality where Hollywood today cuts the corners.

Back