HD Camera Decisions...

Well I am a film student and for a present I am going to be getting a new camera :D Basically I would really like to go HD, I love the look and it seems to be the way the industry is going. I am really looking into the Panasonic AG-HVX200A / AG-HVX205A

Bassically i would like to keep it under 5k for the sake of my aunts wallet but I really would like to have a basic setup with everything i might need. Bag/case, filters, sturdy tripod(especially if I'm going to be putting a couple thousand dollar camera on it) P2 card of a decent size(at least 16gb but maybe 32gb) and anything i might need to get my footage of my p2 card onto my macbook pro...

Now i know i mentioned the HVX200A but I would like to see some other stuff comperable to this and in that price range... basically I need a skew of 5 or so cameras at a price range from 1k-5k with pros and cons to each to show to my aunt.

I agree with you about HD. I struggled with a camera, and I ended up buying a JVC GY-HD200, a very good camera.

Sony has some great camera's too. For film, I'd go with the JVC or Panasonic. Documentary/action, the Sony's and the Canon's are better, as the JVC is pretty big and heavy.

But the bottom line is...you'll go crazy trying to find the best one, as they all have positives and negatives. And after you buy, you'll have regrets no matter what you buy. So just pick one, and start making movies!

Chris

P.S. for camera details, I suggest B and H photo, Amazon, or just making a search on this site. There are tons of threads about cameras.

Last edited:
You're lucky man. I just graduated and I got a Sony Handycam SR47...I wish my parents had enough money for a Panasonic DVX100 or something like that...but for my first camera, this will do.

The only thing I have is a Canon Elura, MiniDV. It's like 11 years old :( But it was like a 2500 dollar camera new. I haven't used it a whole lot yet.

Hopefully I'll be able to get something a little better before I start actual films ;)

For that kind of coin why not take a leap and look at the Canon 5D Mark II. 21.1 mp chip. That's 2k HD at 30fps. 12 minutes full HD on a 4gb card. Sure there are handicam features that you're going to lack but I would suggest you'll make up for them with a bit of ingenuity. There are also aftermarket lens options like follow focus kits and what not that you could also pick up. Here's a commercial shot on the Mark II for Marlins Baseball. I just got one of these and it's sweet. Only now beginning to grasp what can be done with it.
It doesn't shoot RAW in video mode but rather uses the H.264 compression.

I know I'm not doing a great job explaining here but as I said earlier, for the money, it's worth looking at it, especially if you have, or have access to a variety of lens that work with the body. That's one of the best things about this camera, lens options.

I've read of some issues with aperture control but there are many work arounds discussed on numerous forums to help solve this.

Next week I am running a test to convert the images from 30fps to 24 using FCP Compressor.

I dunno, just thought I'd throw a bit of fuel on the fire here. Take a look. Search for other shot examples online. I've come across a few. You won't be disappointed.

We shoot corporate, some TV Broadcast, and training videos here in Las Vegas and we're in a very similar dilemma. Right now, our next cameras are either the Sony EX1, or EX3 or the Sony Z7u or Z270u. We are looking for HD 1 smaller size and one larger size camera. The EX1 is great in that you can use an adapter that allows you to shoot XDCam on SD Cards (little known trick) but it captures to the m2v codec which I'm a little suspicious of. The Z7 and 270s shoot to HDV and they come with a CF card capture device but HDV is only 25mbs data rate vs the 35mbs of the XDCam, whereas the DVCProHD codec captures at 95mbs. I would love to get Panasonics just for the DVCProHD codec but the stinkin P2 cards are just ridiculously expensive even still!
I'm leaning toward the EX1 and EX3 at the moment but I am doing some more research on the m2v and what people are seeing from it.

Andrew Hamilton
Hamilton International Productions
Corporate and Training Video Las Vegas
http://www.hiproductions.com

It may not be as advanced as all the other's your are talking about, but I'm thinking about buying a Canon Hg20. I know it's super simple, but I think it gets the job done if it's done right. It's really cheap too!

I have one of these cameras and the pros are No skewing of images,beautiful images,a great work flow once you learn it and can store footage into a portable harddrive without the need of a computer.The cons Expensive P2 cards,needs alot of light compared to most other cameras,Somewhat grainy pictures when not lit well.
If you are getting one get the 200a,The later model has better sensitivty and less noise in the image.

We used a Sony FX-1 for our feature film "Internal Behaviors" Horror Comedy. It is an older camera and records on DV tapes but has 16x9 high def. It also records well in low light. Any camera will work and don't say I cant do this because I dont have that. Make it happen with what you got! :blush:

Goodluck,

Mark

Definatly go with the new Sony HVR - Z7U with interchangable lenses

I mean look at this test footage at http://www.vimeo.com/1245910 and you can just see the capabilities of this camera. Plus the ability to have two presets make for shooting extended shots with the ability to change your focal points is incomparable to any other camera for the price.

I am ordering two next month to add to my Canon collection of camera's. This will be my first stray from Canon as a filmmaker.

Rick

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I just have a question to ask.

I'm not a professional, but I plan on submitting my new films to film festivals. I'm wondering if I can get away with quality from a Canon HG20 camera (i'm looking into buying that one) It's HD but I know movies don't neccessarily have to be in HD.
What do you think?

Back