• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

First song composed on my new midi

You know, that would work as a background track, especially if there is a lot happening visually - like many quick cuts. Not bad. I really liked the synth bass at the end and wished that it played longer, or at the beginning of the track.

By itself, that string melody gets repetitive, fast. But, without changing that melody, you can change up the instruments. For instance, start with that synth bass, then have pizzicato strings play the main melody. As it goes on, layer in those strings on top of the pizzicato. You could even have some bell type noises come in.

Compare this to a beat. A bass drum goes "dum dum dum dum." Then you bring in the snare - "dum dum dum Tsh dum Tsh Dum Tsh." Then you bring in a high hat, but playing twice as fast - which adds some movement. Same with some melodies.

Good job with the underlying brass sound. It was a good counter to the high end.

Starting out is hard, because it takes time to work up proper timing. Your track, DENIAL, reminded me of my early compositions. I think its wonderful that you are taking this on. Reason has a lot of tools in it, as well as the Thor synth.

I have a lot of respect for filmmakers that also compose. John Carpenter was my main influence.

Thanks scoopicman maybe i shoud go back to basics and learn a bit more about tempo and timing although funnily enough i find it hard to include snare in my beats for some reason when im composing strings and percussion style music. thanks for the feedback

You know what finally improved my tempo? I went out dancing. I was going through a pretty heavy alternative/trance phase. I mostly do soundtrack stuff, but it really started syncing in when I learned how to tap my feet on the dance floor. I even started making weird pop songs. Here's the beginning of one:

FEAR intro

That is from 1994 or so. But, I started to get into Bass sounds, like you were playing in that first song, and then running them through timed delays. Started making some trailer music like this one:

OLD BOY mock trailer

That one is a few years old too, but hear that brief bass part? Totally from my dancing influence. Anyway, get some dance music and see what happens. Keep making this stuff, because you have the right approach. Like I said, that first song could fit into a lot of scenes and that's a good thing.

Ha ha! No, I didn't score OLD BOY. I wish. That music was for a contest that Tartan films had for the film. The contest was to cut your own trailer for the movie, but I also scored my entry with the music you heard.

Yeah, I'm not a good dancer, either. But, I was going through some self esteem issues (after a breakup), so I started dancing whether girls said yes or not. I really did discover my inner beat, though. :D

You can always do it in a dark room, by yourself...:lol:

Back