• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch "Wake Up" - Music Video

nice.
I really like it, the color correction and everything is really nice.
The background at 00:22 with the city and sky, is that a green screened?

Thanks.

There was actually 0 color correction.

and no green screen.

It was al natural, shot in 5 hours on top of a NYC rooftop.

However, the part you speak of had its blacks crushed through the camera, so that's why theres a darkness to it. The sun was settign and it just came out really nice.

I think your Vimeo version is so much better, especially the opening. It's a lot neater and cleaner and makes the band look more famous.

YouTube version is grittier and the cinematography is quite rough but I suppose that's done on purpose...

Cheers, I enjoyed the video.
Itsuka

I think your Vimeo version is so much better, especially the opening. It's a lot neater and cleaner and makes the band look more famous.

YouTube version is grittier and the cinematography is quite rough but I suppose that's done on purpose...

Cheers, I enjoyed the video.
Itsuka

Thank you.

And I agree, the youtube version makes them look very amature, but for some reason thats how they wanted it.

I just don't understand people sometimes. They must like transformers.

FWIW I liked your version. It made the band look so much better. I really like the shots at 1:21 and 1:30. Nice shots of NYC too. Dunno why the band decided to go with the second version....oh well...

Derek

Music videos are like commercials. You have to please the client. The band. Just curious, why are you asking which is better? Did you shoot both? Are they undecided? Or did they hire a new director and go with the other one?

I just don't understand people sometimes. They must like transformers.
Why bash your client because they wanted changes? A music video is a commercial for their music, they should be 100% pleased. You collaborate; your ideas and theirs, until they are happy.

If you can't work with clients, stick to indie film ;)

@Indie

Here's the FULL story:

A DP friend of mine asked if I wanted to help on a music video shoot.

I say 'yes'

They set everything up, we shoot in a nice brooklyn loft building with a small crew of 6.

BTW: we are doing this totally free.

It's an OLD loft building so we end up blowing an entire floors power.

They decided to try and shoot some footage with natural light. (We had 2 cameras this day)

-HVX200 with Letus 35
-Some prosumer HDV camera

Why? who knows.

So ends up that the 35adapter died and so the footage was no good.

We say we will shoot another day.
--------------------------------------------------------

The DP calls me up and asks if I can take over and direct the video.

I say 'Yes'

We shoot on my Manhattan rooftop with a crew of 2 (me and the DP)

We shoot out everything in 5 hours(everything that's in the first cut is just the second day)

I edit it. I show them. They HATE it. Not just don't like it. HATE it. I spend $400 for a put put gennie, uhaul, ect. and they didn't appreciate my hard work that we did for free.

My DP gives them the footage, tells them they can do what they want. We had our footage, so that's what was important.

I post the video to show to a few people. They threaten with a lawer.

Yep, stupid me, I didn't get release forms, cause I assumed something we did for free wouldn't piss off this no name band.

Wrong.

So it's not that I care they like it they way they want.

It's the fact they told me they HATED my cut. I just needed to know I wasn't crazy.

Back