Mismatched equipment

Is there a way to use very different cameras and mics in the same scene continuously without it looking awful? Specifically: My dp is using a panasonic AG-DVX100B and I have an old canon gl1... I'm pretty sure that the image quality there is just to different, but does anyone have any general ways to make images look more alike?

Along the same lines, I have a AT835B and my friend might lone me a rode ntg-2... could I record one actor's dialogue with one and the other with the other for a single scene, or would that sound like death?

Obviously I can use just one camera and one mic per scene and it'll be fine... but time-saving is always a plus.:cool:

Make sure when you white balance, that you do it together on the same white whatever it is. That might help some. The difference in the pictures will probably not be night and day with those two cameras. Then you can possibly do some light color correction to at least get them in the same ball park.

Someone on here will know what to do...

-- spinner :cool:

Of you handle it correctly one mic should just fine.

If for some reason you do decide to use both mics they do not sound all that dissimilar, although you will definitely have to do some EQ work to make the tracks from the two mics sound the same. And DO NOT try to record the two mics in mono (or summed "stereo") or use both tracks simultaneously in audio post as you will get serious phasing problems.

The mics will be easier to deal with than the cameras. With so EQ work as Alcove said, it shouldn't be noticeable. I wouldn't use the two cameras, the utility of EVER using two cameras (except in dialogue driven comedy with lots of cuts back and forth between characters) is debateable.

Back