Stop By. Shoot Film.

Long time no post.

I just had to tell of my experience at shooting with a film camera.

The Sarasota Film Festival had an event that was called Stop By. Shoot Film. Presented by Kodak.

I scheduled my time (which by the way was completely free!) to shoot on Sunday. I went and was pleasantly surprised when the person giving the lesson was Randall Tack a very competent cinematographer.

I learned so much. The biggest lesson would be that video is not film and will never be.

If you have never used film, do it at least once in your life. It is an increcible experience.

I will post the results of the shoot (They give a dvd (also Free)) as soon as I can.

It's awesome that film is being promoted like this. It shows that Kodak wants it to stick around.

Film won't die for the same reason Novell is still installed places. Too many really heavily trained people making purchasing decision... until that changes, film will be the gold standard and the audiences (who don't really notice the difference, no matter what we think of it) will continue to pay the price.

or the upcoming generations of cinema producers demand the issues with digital be fixed, we'll continue to be beholden to the really expensive medium of film because that's the only one that offers the "Ideal" quality at this point. Imparting the "film look" at that point (wider latitude, better color representation) becomes degrading the footage by adding grain to it... or by transferring to film when finished. Film doesn't even hold up to old film anymore due to environmental restrictions on silver salts... I've heard actual silver on celluloid looks absolutely magical when projected.

Back