standard 16mm

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone can advise me of the drawbacks of buying a standard 16mm camera - such as the beaulieu r16, or similar ones for under 2 grand sterling.

Quite interested in this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.my/Beaulieu-R-16-FPS-SYNC-MODULE-W-LENS-CASE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ250405144913

Basically, i'm new to film, and I was jumping for joy when I realized I could buy a 16mm film cam for only tuppence more than I originally paid for my xl1s. Then I realized that it was the super 16mm - arriflex types which are the preferred format for professionals, are they not? And are they all really noisy? And what are the post-production limitations compared to a super 16mm?

advice anyone?! cheers :)

That's a pretty sweet camera, especially with a re-celled battery & sync-speed already.

Didn't see a battery charger in any of those images. Also, didn't see the auto-zoom motor, used on the large lens.

It ain't the quietest camera ever made.

_______

Drawbacks? Well, the cost of filmstock, processessing & transfer to video will cost a heck of a lot more than a $10 tape for your XLS.

The 4:3 aspect ratio ain't so bad, if you can frame & crop appropriately. (You can have an eyepiece modification done, to make that easier - etched lines on the replacement bit of glass)

One battery doesn't last long, really, and they take forever to recharge. An external battery pack would be handy to have.

You'll need someone to record sound to an external device.

_______

That's just a quick ramble. :cool:

I love that camera. I own one.

It's noisy but with a blimp I haven't had any day stopping or
post production issues.

There are really no post-production limitations compared to
super16 unless you know for certain you will making a 35mm
neg for theatrical distribution. If you are going to DV, standard
16mm is fine.

Oh yah, forgot to mention - the camera you linked mentioned the sync-speeds.

Typically that camera does not have come with it - it's a modification that has been done (usually costs about $400 - $500 to do, and that cost appears to be reflected in the higher price for that camera).

Most R16's you come across will not have it, unless it specifically says it does. :cool:

Back