The interesting matter of recognizable objects and liability

I'm in pre-production to make my first children's video; you know, singing adults, giggling kids, simple puppets, etc. It will be a commercial project, which we hope to sell as a DVD.

My question is, what sort of liability might we be looking at, if we show recognizable objects and props? That is, I can't imagine some chair manufacturer spotting that we used their chair in the show and feeling we "cast their chair in a less than flattering light" and sending an atty after us. Although if the prop carried more "status" and "history", such as a hoola-hoop or something...? Pushing further, what if a performer holds an generic stuffed animal and "makes" it talk and thereby "injects" it with expanded character, and the manufacturer sees this and feels their "IP" was altered or "used" without permission? They did "create" the "character" of the animal, after all, especially if it was fantastical (say, a unique cutesy monster, but not one having manifestation outside of just being a stuffed animal; not a licensed monster), so doesn't this imply we need to ask permission before we "expand" (i.e., alter) it's "IP"? And then there is the extreme; which I'm imagining would be most likely to temp a corporate lawyer the most: what if the video showed a, say (for the sake of discussion only), Elmo puppet, bought from some store, which was made to say things out of character for Elmo, with a different voice from Elmo, and then was, say, "injured" or something, in the performance? Surely this is just asking for trouble, yes?

I hope I'm making my concern clear: how do low-budget commercial productions protect against unnecessary infringement risk in the area of objects and props? Any and all thoughts, facts, insights, opinions welcome! Thank you!

I don't think stuff like that generally creates problems for indie filmmakers, but I could certainly be wrong about that.

I know I've never heard any horror stories from filmmakers about stuff like that.

I would imagine there's some technical liability issues at play here, but I don't think they're known for coming up a whole lot. The Elmo one does sound a little tricky though. Even still, I'm not sure you would have to really worry about getting an angry letter/lawsuit.

Hello!

I think as long as you stay away from characters like Elmo, Barney, etc...you should be fine. I'm sure you can find some unique, fantastical teddy that doesn't have a recognizable IP and can be used for a segment.

Plus I think your concept doesn't sound like it's going to offend anyone...so I'd say you are in the clear. Just don't use SS characters, Barney...ect.

Build a Bear?

You need to avoid LOGO's moreso than items. It's all about TRADEMARK™ and how that grants the owner of the TRADEMARK™ a lot of control over how their logo is used.

Now, anyone can sue anyone else civilly for pretty much anything. It might get thrown out of court, but you CAN sue anyone. If what you are doing is considered offensive or somehow denigrating their products, you might get sued, but most likely it will begin with a CEASE AND DESIST letter, and that's IF they even find out about your video. If the company in question has a TRADEMARK™ on their item, then you can expect to lose in court pretty quickly.

Parody laws do NOT apply to a TRADEMARK™. You can create your own "spoof" of a TRADEMARK™, but you cannot use the actual logo, phrase, or item.

Thanks for this input. Short of paying a lawyer for their expensive opinion on this subject, does anyone have a suggestion of where else I might pose my question? I seem to remember hearing of forums or weird sites that lawyers sometimes offer their unofficial say on things, but can't think of exactly where. If something like that exists for the film industry, I'd love to hear of it and go check it out.

I know that because of copyright laws you need to avoid showing anything that's "art" that takes up a large part of the screen, such as paintings, a statue, even something like a bedspread that has an artsy design. You can "dress your set" with real trademarked products and use them as they were INTENDED as background scenery, but anything beyond that and you could potentially get yourself into legal trouble. For example you could have a character wearing a Dodger baseball cap who smokes pot and get sued for the unsavory association. I'll bet that Elmo doll is trademarked. Copyrights are automatic. The only defense is if it's a parody that you're doing. Doesn't sound like you're doing a parody though.

You might say to yourself, "Nobody's ever gonna know". Maybe so, but consider that if you try to sell your production, the buyer may require that everything be cleared. Once they find out that your show has liabilities then they may balk. However if you're like most indie filmmakers you probably don't even want to deal with distributors. Just release it yourself online via sites like Amazon, NetFlicks, your home site, etc - No errors and omissions report required.

Thanks for this input. Short of paying a lawyer for their expensive opinion on this subject, does anyone have a suggestion of where else I might pose my question? I seem to remember hearing of forums or weird sites that lawyers sometimes offer their unofficial say on things, but can't think of exactly where. If something like that exists for the film industry, I'd love to hear of it and go check it out.

Stacey Parks had an attorney talk about that in a seminar on her site at filmspecific.com it's a subscription site but a lot of info. I would go ahead and find an attorney you will need one anyway sooner or later (if you do anything in this business). Especially if you're going to release a DVD. Cover yourself.
Good Luck
just my 2 cents

Stacey Parks had an attorney talk about that in a seminar on her site at filmspecific.com it's a subscription site but a lot of info. I would go ahead and find an attorney you will need one anyway sooner or later (if you do anything in this business). Especially if you're going to release a DVD. Cover yourself.
Good Luck
just my 2 cents
Can you join for 1 month only? What do you get for signing up for 1 month on that site? Can you watch as many videos as are available? Access as many articles as you want? Why sign up for more than a month?

Can you join for 1 month only? What do you get for signing up for 1 month on that site? Can you watch as many videos as are available? Access as many articles as you want? Why sign up for more than a month?

I believe it's a yearly membership. Sure you can listen to all the seminars in a month but she has updates for instance from Cannes this year on who's buying what and what's hot. Also the latest on International Co-production and Co-financing partners that information is only only hours old (now a few weeks old). I'm in this for the long haul and until I start attending all the markets I'll rely on filmspecific to get me behind the distribution business scene and up to date on how the industry is changing. There are updates and new seminars on a regular basis.
Just my 2 cents :)

Last edited:
Well I won't be paying $300 to join a web site. Is knowledge about the film business really THAT secretive and therefore that expensive? The only thing I'd like to learn more about is how exactly traditional distributors market a movie, besides posting a trailer on YouTube, MySpace, Facebook, DailyMotion, etc. This filmspecific site gives you "discounts" on other stuff like video seminars. I listened to a (free) 30 minute seminar promotion. The guy sells his course for like a hundred bucks. Jees! I just ordered a internet marketing book for $12.50 on Amazon. Why pay more?

Great Question

This is something we've been wondering about, specifically, because in one of our films we realized there was a Star Wars poster hanging in the background on the wall and on another one the actress kept showing the Coors logo on the can she was holding. Do you think we should fear any retribution from this?

Sonnyboo had it right up there, its all about avoiding the use of logo's. basically if you can recognize a product then you can potentially get in trouble for copywrite infringement. but there are plenty of cases when people have used brands and not showed the logo's (eg, someone holding a red coke can... but you can't see anything written on the can because their hand is covering it).
furniture is fine. not so sure about puppets. maybe if they were generic? the safest bet would be to use older ones rather than newly store bought ones.

another thing you should be careful of is clothing on the talent, you'll either need a company to sponsor you to wear their clothes, get their permission or wear generic clothing.

You can get free legal advice on the forums over at The Law. They have numerous discussion boards, including ones for entertainment law and copyright, where you can ask your question. Be forewarned, however, that they sometimes do take their sweet time to answer.

Basically, if there's a recognizable logo or design, you'll need to be careful. If using puppets or dolls in your video, I'd make my own or somehow alter them (add a bow, add fringe, dye them, etc.) so that they look unique and "original." Even if it might seem generic to you, or not a readily recognizable character, most stuffed animals and toys are designed or licensed. Furniture I wouldn't worry about unless it was some famous design.

You could go the other direction and contact some companies to get permission to use a product in exchange for credit. They may be amenable to being a "sponsor" and actually provide materials for your shoot. You could do this for props, costumes, equipment, locations, and so on.

Last edited:
Back