Need help Choosing a Prosumer Camera

I'm starting to film a low-budget indie horror/zombie film and I'm trying to choose a good priced camera. I've been doing some research on some prosumer cameras like the Sony vx2000 and others around that price range but i'm having a hard time picking one. I'm needing a camera that will work well in low light shots. I'm not worried about getting an HD capable camera or one that records in 24p I can adjust that with editing. With the research I've done I know that it would look better if I got a HD camera and stepped it down to SD in editing. As of right now I don't have the funds to purchase a high end camera. I have seen alot of cameras between $500 and $2000 that look like what I need but I need to get the best for my budget.

I definitely need a camera with manual controls. The camera we have now is an older digital 8 Sony Handycam trv730. This works good in daytime situations but it has automatic controls so I can't adjust the white balance for low light scenes. I really need to get a camera that has 3ccd and I would like to get one with interchangable lenses(for wide shots of zombie hordes!)

Last edited:
I Definitely think this is the camera I need. I don't know which version I'm going to get. I've found a few different models around $1500 so once I get the funds I'll better ready to start filming. Thanks for you help guys.

Probably the DVX100 will do for your range...

If you want to take a step up, I'd go for the Panasonic HVX-200. I've seen amazing results from that. It runs around 5k.

The DVX100 (silver) has 24P and cinegamma, but the only "widescreen" it has is letterbox.

The DVX100A (dark gray) has 24P and cinegamma, but also an optical 16x9 mode as well as letterbox.

The DVX100B (black) has 24P and cinegamma color, plus other nick-knacks and improvements, but nothing major.

In reality, ANY of these will do what you need it to do for a DV-standard def feature and it will be more "filmic" than anything within $20,000 in standard definition.

Back