• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch The Picture

Premise isn't bad, but it's REALLY washed out looking, which could just be the rendering. Also, the dialogue sounds like ADR. It just doesn't sound right somehow.

Ya, the dialog--at least from the main girl--sounds completely like ADR. It's well matched...it's just distracting.

Also...the shot of the close-up of the coffee cup...get rid of it. You don't need it, and it means nothing.

I agree with Gonzo...the look is washed out. Maybe a little color-correction in post?

I think it's a cool short. Quick with a punchline.

Yeah. The dialogue is all ADR. The mic I was using didn't work. I had a very small window to shoot, had never used the camera before, had no DP, used natural lights, no reflector, and no sound person. I didn't check the sound and had to do it all in post.

This was meant to be a fast and dirty shoot and it ended up being far dirtier than I had hoped. I made another film just after this that had a far prettier production quality but the tape tore in the deck and I have yet to mend it.

I would love to work with some pros one of these days. I've only ever worked with students and friends before.

Yeah. The dialogue is all ADR. The mic I was using didn't work. I had a very small window to shoot, had never used the camera before, had no DP, used natural lights, no reflector, and no sound person. I didn't check the sound and had to do it all in post.

This was meant to be a fast and dirty shoot and it ended up being far dirtier than I had hoped. I made another film just after this that had a far prettier production quality but the tape tore in the deck and I have yet to mend it.

I would love to work with some pros one of these days. I've only ever worked with students and friends before.

I am totally spoiled, had a pro DP and a pro sound guy on my very first film. I don't think I could go back now.

Gonzo-

That is pretty impressive to have a pro DP and pro Sound guy on your first film. I am very jealous. How do you come up with the funds to pay them. Do you have a personal financial backer or a studio behind you? As most people just starting out are kind of curious as how to go about getting professionals on some of our first shoots.

I got a big fat bonus at work, and spent every penny of it (close to $6000) on this film. I was going to buy a prosumer camera, but decided "you know I don't really want to be a camera operator, I want to direct", so took that money and financed the film.

That's cool to see risks pay off. It is very encouraging.

99.9% chance I'll never make my money back (or even close). I consider it like going to film school. I learned a LOT, and now I have a completed, pretty professional looking project I can use as a resume piece to hopefully get financing for the next one.

Back