Any difference in HD-MiniDV tapes then Internal HD-HDD?

I'm on the verge of getting a cam...I'm on the right track as I'm shooting for a HD Camcorder with or without 24p. I'll just have to use Vegas Pro...anyways....

I'm just not sure if there is any differences in choosing a HD Tape cam then a HD Hardisk Hardrive Cam?
What I am looking for is quality in the video, sharpness, contrast things like that and if whats easy to transfer to PC. I know, I don't have a Mac.

I was looking at Sony HD HDD cams and some tape. I was also looking at some Canon HD tapes and HDD cams and most of the Canons come with 24p. Some of the HDD types I saw have 60-80Gb which is plenty of what I am looking for. I know that most Tapes only record about 60min.

But I just wanna make sure I get the right one before I buy one and then stuck and not being able to get good differences. Please Help.

Another thread titled Canon hv20/30 by sonyboo may answer that..as it concerned me too. On the thread it talks about how one is limited to editing software....I also checked with each camera I was interested in online (Canon hv20/30 vs Hf20 ) and found the common complaint with the Hf20 was its limitations of compatibility with software.

The general answer to your query as to the difference between HARD DRIVE recording cameras and TAPE HDV cameras is this - THE CODEC. The format in which the two are recording is different. The HDV tapes record MPEG2 codec in a format called M2T which is the MPEG TRANSPORT STREAM. The hard drives, although it varies from brand to brand and model to model, are usually AVCHD codec, a new and robust codec, but also not as widely supported by editing software, although it is increasing (ADOBE CS4 supports its, but no other, older version does). Most software of the last 3-4 years support HDV natively, but AVCHD is fairly new and will be completely supported in no time, but as of now, it's somewhat of a specialty.

Back