Feature shoot in 10 days?

Lets be honest using an HD camera should let you shoot faster...you don't have to load film, simply pop in another tape. I'm getting a hard time from a DOP...says minimum 20 days shoot, but I think it will take half that amount of time also there are: no crane shots, no special effects, a few dolly shots here and there. I think you can do it in ten days. What do you think?

It doesn't just depend on the camera. Several factors go into shooting time. The size of the location, whether it is in-doors or out, how long the shots are and what they call for, the lighting inside the shoot location, if you have both in-door and outdoor locations, the quality of the HD camera (Some HD cameras don't work well in low light situations and require more lights when setting up a scene.). All these things factor into how long a shoot is going to take. Along with many other facts but these are the issues that your DOP is probably having trouble with. I would directly ask him why 20 days and not 10, and he should have explained himself of why the extra 10 days.

If he did say it is because of the camera that sounds a little odd and I might start looking for another DOP. But again ask about everything and see what happens. Good luck.

The DP and Producer need to sit down and figure out the shoot days based on the shooting script. It's not just "I think this will take 20 days" it's "This is why it will take 20 days, and here is the schedule." Then you need to get a good AD to make sure everything gets done and to move the production along.

ya you can do it, i shot an 8 minute short film from 7 p.m. to 5 in the morning, and it turned out really well, if i can do it, then you can do it

That's an 8 minute short. We're talking about an 80+ minute feature. A lot more goes into that.

And we are still talking about quality, correct? We don't want to rush it...

Lets be honest using an HD camera should let you shoot faster...you don't have to load film, simply pop in another tape. I'm getting a hard time from a DOP...says minimum 20 days shoot, but I think it will take half that amount of time also there are: no crane shots, no special effects, a few dolly shots here and there. I think you can do it in ten days. What do you think?

I think the film loading time versus putting in a tape is hardly what takes a lot of time on ANY shoot regardless of format. The art of lighting a scene remains the ultimate time taker. If you want the scenes to look their best, you need to light them and shoot for even exposures and more dynamic set ups. Taking the time to get things perfect is what takes more time. Lighting a scene to affect the emotion of any scene is just as important as the performance of the actors, the music on the soundtrack and everything else.

I think the film loading time versus putting in a tape is hardly what takes a lot of time on ANY shoot regardless of format. The art of lighting a scene remains the ultimate time taker. If you want the scenes to look their best, you need to light them and shoot for even exposures and more dynamic set ups. Taking the time to get things perfect is what takes more time. Lighting a scene to affect the emotion of any scene is just as important as the performance of the actors, the music on the soundtrack and everything else.

Also with film, getting the focus measured, marked and set takes time...then hitting these focal points is time consuming as well...especially if you have complicated racks.

Of course this still is the case with HD cams using lenses and adapters...but for a lot of the HD cams out there, you don't have to do this.

A friend of mine shot a feature in a day. It's not that good but it still got distributed.
A few years ago, I set out to write a feature that could be shot in a day --- six characters, one location, real time.

We shot a couple of tech rehearsals and actually got through the script in one day.

I just sold the screenplay to a producer in L.A. and they play to shoot it in 14 days or so.

As others have said, it depends on the script. Is it two guys sitting at a table so you light the scene and then never move the lights. or do you have 12 different locations? 8 days will need to be much closer to the former than the latter. It took me 5 days to shoot a 30 minute short. That's 3 12 hour days, an 18 hour day, and a 19 hour day. That was because I had 3 different locations in 3 different towns not close to each other and a total of 49 scenes. Each of those locations also had 3 to 5 different sets.

Last edited:
My feature was shot in 12 days. We shot it on location in northern Wisconsin at a cabin, so everything was within arms reach. It's not easy, but with a dedicate cast and crew we managed.

My feature was shot in 12 days. We shot it on location in northern Wisconsin at a cabin, so everything was within arms reach. It's not easy, but with a dedicate cast and crew we managed.

Exactly. One location films can pull it off...IF you're organized. Multi-location films with lots going on will have major trouble.

Thanks for your replies. Motivating to hear your stories. I will try and shoot my first feature in ten days. One of the things my DOP and I are concerned about is actors remembering lines, because some of my locations I have to be out by a certain time. I hope my actors come ready.

Any reason you are not compromising with your D.P. - he says 20 days and you say 10, so why not shoot 15? I'm guessing for budget reasons? Depending on what it is you're shooting, it is more than possible, though. I shot my first feature in 14 days, but it had a lot of squibs and a car chase, plus a mountain forest and a desert location that took 2 hours of driving, per day.

I agree - your actors need to be ready. They need to rehearse and know the entire script, before shooting starts. Otherwise, you are going to waste hours on people learning stuff they should have known, beforehand. I say that, assuming you are paying them. If not, what happens is your fault. :>)

I'm also assuming that you are probably renting equipment on a Friday and wrapping up the shoot the following Sunday, so you get free weekends? That's when Memorial Day weekends come in handy!

One of the things my DOP and I are concerned about is actors remembering lines, because some of my locations I have to be out by a certain time. I hope my actors come ready.
Well, it's not a play, so at least they don't have to memorize the entire script. Work with your actors between shots. You will be shooting out of sequence, so this is when you can give them information they need for their motivation and to help them get their bearings. Example; "Remember, this is the scene right after you learn that she is dead." You have to feel this out, all directors work differently, but it is a good idea to keep them informed on where they are in the script. You can rehearse lines with them if you wish, or let them do their thang. Good luck.

Thanks for your replies. Motivating to hear your stories. I will try and shoot my first feature in ten days. One of the things my DOP and I are concerned about is actors remembering lines, because some of my locations I have to be out by a certain time. I hope my actors come ready.

If you want to have a prayer of pulling this off in 10 days, then REHEARSAL REHEARSAL REHEARSALS. You should do that anyways no matter what, but it's even more crucial in your circumstance. Work with the actors for at least 2-3 hours a day for the week leading up to the shoot, either together or separately.

Just be sure to tell your actors the night before which scenes you'll be shooting on the following day.

It took 5 months of sporadic shooting to complete my movie. When I knew what we'd be shooting, I'd tell the actors a day or so before and they always came prepared.

I like to think of this dilemma as the difference between a short story in a magazine and a novel. What does it take to tell the story you need to tell?

Never sell yourself short but don't overshoot the mark either. The other thing you need to do is if you are directing this then think like a director, not a producer. If you're wearing both hats then debate yourself off the set. When you step on the set you need to be the director because once the producer raises his/her head, the indecision alone will compromise you and everyone else around you. Give yourself the permission to tell the story properly. No one made a great film by showing anyone how fast they could do it.

Now having said that I understand all too well that you do a have a responsibility to the budget and to everyone working on the film considering they may not be getting paid. But ultimately you won't be doing you, the film and anyone else any favors if you don't put the story you want to tell in front of everything else.

This comes from many years experiencing crushing heart ache when I watch a scene I've done short changed because my producer head was telling me I had to do the scene in 3 shots instead of the 5 I had planned. Or worse, the 5 that the scene needed.

On the flip side, it's a great training ground for television. Learning the economies of shooting around a schedule is never a bad thing and many a director has grown a lucrative career in the television business by being economic.

from short to long

I did one of my features in 15 days and that was a decent amount of time but in the edit I have wanted more alternate angles and some extra footage. I have been involved with features shot in 2 days and ones that took over a month straight and there are merits to both. Having experience in what actually takes the majority of time on set is the most important way to speed up your shoot. 15 days is a lot healthier than 10 I think.

Justin McAleece

Back