Good mics for boat use

I'm looking for a set of mics to record dialogue as well as reel-noises on the boat, particularly the reel-noises. I was thinking some type of waterproof lavalier mics for two people and maybe one rigged in the cockpit? Any suggestions?

Having done sound where things got wet or messy (a food fight) we put unlubricated condoms on the shotguns. You can cut small pieces off and use them on lavs; also good for people who perspire heavily . Audio Technica makes some relatively inexpensive lavs ($30 - $60 range) so they are "disposable" as opposed to a $320 Countryman B-6.

all of the above is great advice would only add to cover your transmitters as well with a condom...other than that there is not much more you can do...just be as careful as you can...

i have done plenty of rain work and boat work and have lost a few mics along the way...not much you can do but hope for the best.

If you really want that reel (backwinding) sound make sure to get some wild sound of the reels. You could even do this with one reel in a foley studio so there is no background noise.

Back