Use of DVD logo, Region1 logo and Dolby digital logo

We're preparing the artwork for a US distributor and we're unsure about the use of these logos on the artwork. I've been researching a lot on the internet (so please don't post any links), but it's still a little confusing. My understanding is however that it's the company who manufactures/presses the DVD discs who needs a special license to use these logos, so if we're using a big established manufacturer it shouldn't be any problem. Am I correct?

These logos are TRADEMARKED™ which means you will need to get permission, in most cases PAY for permission to use the logos, especially the DVD and Dolby Digital logos.

When something is TRADEMARKED™, that means the company who is granted that has incredible amounts of control over its usage. Unless the company who is replicated the discs is accepting the costs of the usage, you will bear the burden. Only your distribution company will pay for this.

The CD / DVD manufacturer usually licenses permission. I never had to pay for anything.

Dolby mails you a license, you sign it, then you send them a copy of your movie so they can check to make sure it meets their quality standards, then Dolby gives you approval. You can send them just the audio portion of your movie. I never had to pay for anything.

You need permission for Dolby's logo only (on box art, etc). You are free to apply Dolby compression to your DVD's sound without ANY permission if there's no mention of "Dolby" in the credits or box art.

Last edited:
These logos are TRADEMARKED™ which means you will need to get permission, in most cases PAY for permission to use the logos, especially the DVD and Dolby Digital logos.

When something is TRADEMARKED™, that means the company who is granted that has incredible amounts of control over its usage. Unless the company who is replicated the discs is accepting the costs of the usage, you will bear the burden. Only your distribution company will pay for this.

I'm not sure you are right after reading this page

http://www.dvdfllc.co.jp/logo/lg_who.html

from what I can read there, it's the manufacturer(replicator) (not authoring house, not distributor, not producer) of the disc who applies for the license and then instructs the distributor how to use it. correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
I'm not sure you are right after reading this page

http://www.dvdfllc.co.jp/logo/lg_who.html

from what I can read there, it's the manufacturer(replicator) (not authoring house, not distributor, not producer) of the disc who applies for the license and then instructs the distributor how to use it. correct me if I'm wrong.

From that link...

2) Use of the Logo by Contents Owners/Providers, Video Productions, Authoring Houses etc.;
Basically, Contents Owners/Providers, Video Productions, Authoring Houses are not allowed to use DVD Logo on their own, even if they write video contents on DVD discs by themselves. It is because the businesses are not eligible for our Licensing programs.

If you ever use a true duplication service, like CREATESPACE formerly CUSTOMFLIX which is owned by AMAZON.COM, they will not allow you to put the DVD logo on your art work. It will be rejected because you do not have the legal right to use the TRADEMARKED logo without proving them the specific legal paperwork showing that you have applied for the usage and have been granted permission.

I believe that you may have something in that a REPLICATED disc (as in not burned on a DVD-R) may have certain allowances for usage of the logo.... I will do more research and confirm.

Last edited:
thanks. we will probably manufacture at Sony, so my understanding is that they have the license and will instruct us how to use the logo. correct me if I'm wrong

thanks. we will probably manufacture at Sony, so my understanding is that they have the license and will instruct us how to use the logo. correct me if I'm wrong

I would say to ask them specifically what you may or may not do with the logo (IE adding it to your marketing materials as well as on the inserts - which it appears is legal if you REPLICATE DVD's, but that is not 100% confirmed but looks likely to be true).

Then, please let US know what Sony tells you.

I emailed them and asked if we could use the logo if we manufactured at their facilites, and the answer was "I don't see why not":) i also E-mailed a several other manufacturers and they all said it's NP if we manufacure at their place, so I guess most established manufactures got the license and then it's no big deal. if anyone has a different opinion or info about this matter, pls let post.

Back