Moving over to Super 16 - Need Advice

Hi all,

I've been a filmmaker my whole life. As a kid I shot on 8mm, then Super 8 and eventually VHS. As an adult I shot one thing in 16mm, then a lot in mini-DV and for the last few years I've been shooting in HD (well, HDV) often using a 35mm adapter. Anyway, I'm going to be shooting a feature later this year and after considering the Red and many other options, I've decided that I want to shoot on super 16.

Whilst I'll most likely rent a camera for the shoot (if possible - I live in Austin and haven't found any place that rents them) I would like to go ahead and buy a Super 16 camera now to replace the Canon XHA1 I've been using. So... I'm going to sell my HDV Camera as well as my lens adapter and lenses and I figure once all that's gone, I should have about $3,000 to spend.

I need a camera that shoots on Super 16mm, preferably with a zoom lens and crystal sync motor that's quiet enough for sync sound work - is this possible with what I have to spend?

I've read through the forums on cameras and a lot of them seem to be addressing 16mm not Super 16. I'm familiar with some of the options available, the NPR, H16, etc. I just don't know whether I can reasonably expect to get what I need for around $3000 (or where to look).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I just found out about Ultra 16mm - perhaps that would be a more affordable route to take than Super 16?

Cheers,
Luke
http://LukeHill.com

Last edited:
For $3,000 it will be difficult (not impossible) to buy a super 16
camera. You can check eBay for Arri and Aaton and for converted
Beaulieu, Bolex, Eclair and Canon. I remember using a converted
Eclair NPR years ago. Of course there is the Panoram - a dual
format camera. If you can find one, it will meet your needs.

There is almost no advantage of Ultra 16 over super 16. There are
fewer Ultra 16 cameras so it seems reasonable that they would be
more expensive. And very few labs are equipped to handle that
format - telecine and 35 blow ups. I’ve never shot Ultra 16 so I
have no actual experience there.

You will probably need to go to Dallas to rent.

Talk to the guys at GEAR they can steer you to somebody. I know Vance Homes in Austin has several different film packages both 16mm and 35mm to rent. We've rented 16mm packages from TexCam in Houston. or like directorric said Dallas has camera packages try MPS or as I said talk to the guys at GEAR they can put you in contact with someone. Check out the American Cinematographer Magazine classified ads. I always see camera packages for sale in there. If you have cash to buy you will find a package especially in Austin there are enough film folks to steer you in the right direction.
Good luck

My friend from a few years back, Tom Barndt, had the Aaton A-Minima, which is a camera I long lusted after. It's silent, shoots Super 16 and is not much bigger than a prosumer video camera, like the DVX100, but with a 200' spool. The camera rents for about $325 per day. Then again, I think Tom left Las Vegas for Austin, TX. Maybe, he's near you. Try a search. He directed an excellent short called THE WALKING INK.

Back