• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Help me put together my lights.

Hello :)

I'm in the midst of preparing a bunch of equipment and I need some help with lighting. I currently have a super-bright work light and some incandescent lights but am obviously looking for more lights and reflectors.

What type of lights would you recommend? I've been looking at some kits specifically the Lowel DV Creator 1 Three Light Kit found at B&H Photo. Do you have something comparable/better for perhaps cheaper?

I'll be shooting on digital using the Canon XL2 (which I have) or the Canon XL H1 (if I can get access to it).

Details:

I'll be shooting on digital, SD or maybe HD.
The shoot will be a combination of indoor and outdoor shoots.
I need a variety of lights to capture different lighting levels (i.e. kit needs to be flexible)

As always I've searched the forums but if I missed a thread or two please provide the link. :)

Howdy...

I am new to the site but I have some recommendations when it comes to your lighting situation. The lights you are looking at would work find however it seems like they would be best if you were shooting mostly interview settings where all you would need is a key, back, and fill. However it sounds like your shooting some kind of short. What I would recommend for that would be to stick with the 1500w total, which is what your looking into getting, but I would look for a three Omni Light kit. The reason I would go with that is it gives you more options. You could still do the interview set-up, by way of diffusions and such, but if you wanted to go with one light giving off more of a harsh shadow, one giving you a window effect, and the last one giving an overall soft light on your set you won't have to fuss with the lights to get the even amount. You can really go anyway you want here it is up to you but I think you'll get more options if you stick with three lights all the same wattage. And always remember your practicals and the sun too.

Good shooting.

Another option would be to rent an Arri I softbank kit. Probably about $75 a day. I THINK, that's 1 300 fresnel, 2 650 fresnels, and a 1K arrlilte, plus stands. If you'e a filmmaker not a production company rental is the answer sometimes.

Also, unless you have a gaffer I'd stay away from anything over a 1K. You can run up to a 2K off a normal circuit, but it will only handle 2K total, so that's 2 1K lights, or 1 2K light.

Back