HD using black and white for sports movie

I shoot with an XH-A1 sometimes. Recently, I've been shooting a lot of Black and White, and in my opinion, it looks fantastic. Even in 60i, with just a tiny bit of color correction, you can get the image to look very close to film. I've had a lot of people mistake the footage I've shot in B&W (and color) for film. Of course, I'm using a Letus as well, so that probably has a lot to do with it.

I'd suggest shooting in 60i, since everything is going to be moving very fast. But of course, that's up to you.

I suggest you use a custom preset Black and White and not just change it in post, I think that's what you're saying you're going to do. I've tried the whole "raising the red levels" trick and converting it to B&W in post, but I've never been as happy with the image. The A1 series is great for its custom presets options, so use them to your advantage.

You can find some great custom presets for your XL here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-x...76-xl-h1-custom-presets-download-library.html

And the best way to find out if it looks good is to just go out and shoot it. I think if you use the B&W preset found in the above link you will be very satisfied with the image. Do you also have a 35mm adapter? Or is it just the stock cam?

Regards,
WalterWhite

Back