purchasing second-hand camera??

Hello all.

I am making preparations to purchase my first camera. It will be what I term a 'training' camera--not a low end consumer model ($300-600) nor a top end professional model ($4K+), but somewhere in between ($1200-1500). I am considering a second-hand camera.

Any here able to make suggestions as to:

-where would be a good place to look for such?

-what to look out for, generally and specifically?

-a recommended model & brand that now falls within this price range?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
My suggestion would be to go to bhphotovideo.com

The used equipment there, from what I understand, is very good. Also, go to the prosumer video camera page, click on "low to high"--this is in price-- and see if you can't get a new camera in your price range. Who knows? You might get lucky.....as a matter of fact, I am on the page now...there are 3 cameras in your price range, one is HD, another is a 'kit' which means there are things with the camera that you would normally have to buy separately. (This one has a wide angle lens and you rarely get that in a kit unless you pay more money than this.)

B&H is probably the best place to buy equipment and it is packaged well and gets to you intact. Also remember that when you are buying a camera, there are other things you may need, like a firewire cable and on-camera mics or tape rewinders. So think about that when you are working out how much things will cost you.

-- spinner :cool:

Thanks.

The idea I had/have is similar to Sonnyboo's, but my thought is to obtain second-hand for the price of between $1,200-1,500 a camera that when new, retailed for around $4,000.

With new camera models with new features being released every 6 months, I think that it would take around 1-2 years for a new model to drop to the price I have in mind.

Any others have thoughts on this view?

That's what I would do, buy something for 1400-1500 used instead of buying one new which would cost $4000 or more. Don't go out cheap and get something you don't really want just so you can have "new" gear. Not worth it. Buy it used but in good condition, get contact nubers just in case and buy from a trusted dealer. Get what you need and what you think is necessary for your production.

He said he wants a training/practice camera to practice with. I repeat that for this price you can get a fantastic training camera brand new. What was $4,000 new and $1,200 now will be seriously old/dated are very worn, that's quite a price drop. Anyway, I'm no video expert ;)

Try not to use Ebay. I kept searching classified ads and forums on the internet for 3 or 4 weeks. Eventually I picked up a Canon XL2 for £1000 which is a good price considering there was the same set up on Ebay for £1600 during the same week I bought it.

I also got to meet the seller and have chat about our work.

Try not to use Ebay. I kept searching classified ads and forums on the internet for 3 or 4 weeks. Eventually I picked up a Canon XL2 for £1000 which is a good price considering there was the same set up on Ebay for £1600 during the same week I bought it.

I also got to meet the seller and have chat about our work.

Interesting. I was thinking about a local version of EBay actually, although it is certainly a bit dodgy.

Would you be willing to indicate which classifieds and forums you're referring to?
What to look out for, generally and specifically?
And the price differential between the Canon XL2 retail new & second-hand?

Last edited:
Well I live in the UK so obviously I was looking at UK based sites. I looked at classifieds such as Gumtree and Criagslist but eventually I found my XL2 through a forum post.

I simply googled "XL2 for sale" and similar queries. Eventually I found a post a few months old and sent the guy an email. Flew down with some cheap plane tickets and picked it up.

My advice is:

Meet in person! Never buy from abroad. Sites like Gumtree and full of scammers. I emailed enquiring about four or five XL2 camera listed and all ended up being scammers.

Price Differential

New - Around £2500-£3000
Ebay 2nd hand - £1400-£1600 (or more!)
Forum post - £1000 (I got a bit lucky)

Remember even legitamate looking websites can scam you. Many of them (especially photography retailers) use bait and switch scamming. Whereby you order an XL2 for say £2000 brand new. Then they email you saying they are out of stock, and offer you a much worse item.

If you are at all suspitious of something, PM me or post something here to make sure it is legit. I have been scammed in the past regarding visual equipment and would not like to see it happen to anyone else!

Last edited:
Back