• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

buying rights for non-profit film?

Just a quick question: does one need to buy the rights to a piece of music if it's being used for a non-profit film?

Example: I want to use some of the original music from the original Dawn Of The Dead for my horror flick. I'm not selling my film, just something to add to my portfolio. Would I need to buy the rights to the tracks?

I would assume its still illegal because it's still copywritten music. I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter if you are making a profit of it or not. Thats more the moral line people use I think.

If its for a portfolio it might not matter and you could get away with it. But some people may not want any copywritten material included in the portfolio.

I know for myself personally, I don't use anything that I either don't own or haven't gotten permission for. It's just bad practice and kinda degrades the quality of your work with the fact that you are using someone's work also without with permission or paying the proper fees for it.

Back