Insurance and Locations

I'm putting together a VERY low budget (as always) music video. We have one scene that is proving to be very difficult. We want to shoot in a convenient store in a litte nowhere town in California. The problem is we have a replica gun that will be waved around and the convenient store wanted all the permit paperwork. After contacting the city, I need the $1,000,000 general liability insurance. This is basically going to blow the majority of our budget I'm thinking, I haven't gotten a quote response from the short-term policy company yet.

Anyone have any ideas how to get around this? Just find a convenient store that agrees to let us shoot and doesn't ask for any permits or what? I've been making phone calls all day, and the only thing I'm affraid of now is if we don't get a permit and we get caught filming without one, I've already talked to the city council and police cheif, so I can't use the "I didn't know excuse".

If you pull a short term policy it should cost around $500.

As you already know, the only way to get around buying insurance
is to find a store whose owner doesn't require you to have insurance.
If the owner agrees to allow the shoot and the city doesn't require a
permit on private property then all you need to do is make a courtesy
call to the local police the day of the shoot to let them know what
you're doing.

You can always piggyback on someone else's insurance. You could pay them $200, and they would act like the production company only in name, and yours would be a satellite of their only for the shoot. We did that on our music video shoot in Bodfish, CA, and ended up saving $1000.

Back