im looking to buy a 16mm camera

hey guys, just wondering what camera i should buy?

Im looking for something that produces good image and is also in the 400-500 range ( i've been looking as the bolex brand dont know if any of you guys have used one?)

Open to any and all suggestions!!

Thanks,

Josh Kennon

Some people have issues with that one scratching film, and say you have to modify the pressure plate like getting it machined or something. In other words it's a gamble.

Look into both, and others too. The Canon is a nice all in one unit with a good lens. Chances are batteries will need to be recelled.

Look into both, and others too. The Canon is a nice all in one unit with a good lens. Chances are batteries will need to be recelled.

I looked at the canon and like the layout of it. I checked youtube for some video samples and some were of very high quality and others looked worse than super 8. Im assuming this is just user error and or bad film choice?

Well, it's not an Arriflex with interchangeable lenses, but it can get decent footage. Ask Scoopicman :)

Yeah. For $400 you're not going to get the world. You won't be able to shoot sync sound either, for this budget. $400 will get you a camera to experiment with 16mm.

Yeah. For $400 you're not going to get the world. You won't be able to shoot sync sound either, for this budget. $400 will get you a camera to experiment with 16mm.

hrm...thats ruff...the other cameras i mentioned are the same way? as im completely new to the idea of shooting film (but will be taking a class this coming semester) can you just record your boom to a deck thats recording your sound and then sync it up later?

You need to do some serious research before you buy. A setup with a crystal sync motor is in the thousands. Good lenses are expensive too. For this price range you could get some experience with a Bolex, K3, or Scoopic.

In theory, no, motors drift unless there is a crystal (like a watch). The 24 fps setting could be 23, 26, 24.45678....

I looked at the canon and like the layout of it. I checked youtube for some video samples and some were of very high quality and others looked worse than super 8. Im assuming this is just user error and or bad film choice?
Don't dismiss the skill, experience and talent of the
director of photography.

You are not going to find any camera on the market
at any price range that will give a very high quality
picture with unskilled, inexperienced untalented people
behind it.

I second the Scoopic. It's an excellent camera.

hey guys, just wondering what camera i should buy?

Im looking for something that produces good image and is also in the 400-500 range ( i've been looking as the bolex brand dont know if any of you guys have used one?)

Open to any and all suggestions!!

Thanks,

Josh Kennon

A local online film community here in NE has a posting about selling a 16mm. It's a little more than you want to spend, but...check out the post:

http://www.ourfilmspace.com/forum/topics/anyone-want-to-buy-a-great

Back