• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch First Music Video

Hey everyone,
Just left the extreme sports film field and started working on music videos recently. I've filmed two, but only have finished one so far. Let me know what you think. It was shot on an HVX-200 with a letus adapter and Nikon Lenses. The desert I just found out was actually filmed somewhere in the middle of nowhere by Palmdale, CA. I guess i didn't even know where we were filming haha, we just drove around and stopped at a location we liked and shot it. All feedback is welcome.

Youtube HD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adSLICNRZ0w

Vimeo:
http://vimeo.com/4050491

Thanks!

Last edited:
If that is your first music video, then I'm Santa Claus. It's a great video, love the film work, I just don't believe for one minute it's your first! LOL!

Fantastic first video! You really hit gold on the professional look using those lenses! Also, I really dug your kinetic editing. Methinks you have the talent to have a very lucrative career ahead of you.

We just filmed our first music video as well, 100 miles up the road from you at Trona Pinnacles and Silver City Ghost Town. We used a Canon XHA1 with the Redrock Adapter and 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 85 mm lenses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUSbxzcMs_4&fmt=22

HAHA! Well thanks for the feedback. I guess i'll have to admit, its not the first music video I've FILMED. I did film one about two weeks before this one, but haven't had the time yet to finish it, and this one was better and more important for me to finish. Otherwise, yes it is indeed my first finished music video. I'm curious to see what you think the entire budget plus what I got paid is?

And Shearer30, I actually watched that video yesterday. Looks good, I love the location! But I actually found out yesterday I wasn't even near Joshua Tree National Park! I guess we were by Palmdale after I looked at a map yestereday, and there just so happened to be some joshua trees in the field we were in.

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm just getting into the music vid business, so I have no idea what your budget was and how much you got paid, please tell. My situation is a little different, I'm working with a local rising artist for free, I get the experience of producing videos, he gets a decent video to market. He also sends me paying gigs (or at least that's the plan). We are friends, so it's more of a mutual work setting that helps us both, of course when he does get a deal, he owes me some cash, otherwise I release the blooper reels! MUAHHHHA! Actually, your vid gave me some more ideas to use.

Haha, yea I'm sortof in the same boat. It was a total of $500, but we blew it all on rentals for lighting, jib, and Letus adapter and a big ass fog machine. I'm working with an agent right now with this particular band, but hopefully will work with others soon. I will eventually go all out searching for bands, but right now I'm busy with my "fulltime job" to make money to live out here haha.

Hey icebluorbitz, I saw that the Youtube video said Palmdale. We were just up the 14, maybe 80 miles.

Our main cost came from renting out the ghost town, and the insurance. In total, we ended up spending around $750, as we also camped out for a few days. The vast majority of the budget came from the ghost town rental though. We did spend some money on costuming as well.

We own the equipment. We have a Canon XH-A1 and Redrock Micro Adapter with 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm lenses. The whole set up cost around $6400

Haha, yea I'm sortof in the same boat. It was a total of $500, but we blew it all on rentals for lighting, jib, and Letus adapter and a big ass fog machine. I'm working with an agent right now with this particular band, but hopefully will work with others soon. I will eventually go all out searching for bands, but right now I'm busy with my "fulltime job" to make money to live out here haha.

I have a fulltime job as well, so this thing is a part time gig until I retire in a few short years. The kid I'm working with does have a few labels looking at him and even got a slot on VH-1, so I'm sticking with him for the long haul. Like you, eventually, I'll search out other bands, but I already have 3 people in line who like my work so, it's a little money here and there, but to me it's all about the experience right now. My first vid is here, http://www.2reelfx.com/PetronePage.html. It's not exactly my genre of music, but it's where the money is.....:) Good luck man, and if you need some VFX work, let me know, I'd love to work with you on some projects, you have some great video skills. We'll be shooting two more vid the last week of this month, so we'll see who that goes.

Back