Clever Character Names

indietalk

IndieTalk Founder
Staff Member
Admin
What are some cool, clever, unusual, obscure character names you have seen in movies?

I can't think of anything current, but the names of the Bond women used to get a chuckle going.

My fave was "Chu Mi" :)

i love how the potter names mostly refer to the characters
- sirius black
-weasely
-wormtail
-draco malfoy
libatias borage
-charity burbage
-fenrir greyback
etc

Office Space - Bill Lumbergh

First off, 'Bill' is such a typical common name - which is perfect for the character in Office Space.

And then there's 'Lumbergh'. It is such a focal point at some points in the film. It is very comedic.

'Lumbergh f***ed her'. It adds to the movie a lot.

I was watching the 2 seasons of F Troop not long ago and noticed they would name pairs of walk-on or unseen characters like Gilbert, Sullivan, Holmes, Watson, Lewis, Clark and others I undoubtedly didn’t pick up on.

Also, now that I think of it, Joss Whedon and company have used some names and nicknames over the years that seem unlikely choices, yet worked: Buffy, Xander, Willow, Gunn, Wesley, Fred (For a girl) Harmony, Drusilla, Spike and the list goes on.

:)

Last edited:
guy richie tends to have cool character names.

i just recently watched rocknrolla. main guys name is 'one two'
thought that was pretty cool

I can't think of anything current, but the names of the Bond women used to get a chuckle going.

My fave was "Chu Mi" :)

Still love Plenty O'Toole, myself. :lol:

The female lead character in my first feature was named Karen Nabors. Still amazes me how many people don't pick up on it.

Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451
Guy Fawkes a old english revolutionist.
altaire from assasins creed (i just think it's a cool name)
ringo star (if you have to ask, don't....)

From movies that exist:

Tyler Durden
Donnie Darko
Luke Skywalker
Ash
Forrest Gump

From movies that don't yet exist:
Audrey Heartburn
Charlie Kandinsky
Cal Korine
Jeffrey Juniper

It’s not very clever or seen in a film, but in a feature I wrote years ago I named a thug character Mustela Nivalis.
I think it means something like "Little Weasel" in Latin.

His cohort is named Febuary Goldman, which is Latin for "I was out of ideas for names."

-Thanks-

Last edited:
mike hawk
mike hunt
harry balsagna
al coholic
amanda huggenkiss
hugh jass

am i being cliche enough or should i go on??

mike hawk
mike hunt
harry balsagna
al coholic
amanda huggenkiss
hugh jass

am i being cliche enough or should i go on??
Hmm, well I guess you're watching a different kind of movie.... XXX ;)
:rofl:

I've always been fond of a wrestling name I came up with, Jimmy Funker (the Funker part being an obvious homage to Terry Funk, if you know your wrestling). I always wanted to use the name whenever I got a chance to work in pro wrestling, but I've had to content myself by instead using the name in film scripts.

For some reason I also like the name as something you could use for a really corrupt priest, so I've used the name in two scripts that called for such a character.

I forgot that my own name is from a script about a boy and his runaway DEA robot, called Growbot.
Growbot is programmed to find fields of illicit “crops”, but instead mistakenly and literally finds character Buddy Greenfield.

Back