camera help

hey everybody, im a beginner when it comes to film making and am currently using a fairly cheap camera and feel that its time for an upgrade. i still dont have tons of money to spend im looking for something under $500. i've done some research and think im going with the JVC Everio GZHD3, its a 3CCD camera which is good from what i hear it is also HD, and has a slot for an external mic and has 60gig of HDD space. i found it for $435 i was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on this. like whether it was worth the money or not? thanks in advance for your guys help, i really appreciate the knowledge that you guys make readily available for us beginners.

As an alternative, look into the Canon HV20/HV30 series. They shoot 24P HDV at 1080 with a cinema-mode. There are many dedicated sites to how to maximize and get professional looking footage from this camera. They are also available new at around $500-$600

I own an Canon HV20 with a 35mm lens adapter package and the Beachtek XLR mic input set.

thanks alot for your help guys, ill definatley look into the cannon....i really appreciate the advice both of you have given me. i dont know much about camera's and i get nervous when im ready to throw $435 at a product so it helps alot to have people willing to share their knowledge with another for nothing in return. just wanted to let you guys know i really appreciate the help.

Camera buying rule #1 is buy from a reputable dealer. Check B&H for the lowest price. Most other places will be higher. If it's a lot lower, and some funky place like "Tech Garden Sale Outlet", it's a scam. Grey market goods, or they take the camera out of the box and keep all the accessories, etc.

i found it on amazon for $435. i just checked again and prices are a little bit higher now, about $480. ill definitely have to check the fine print and make sure im getting everything i want. thanks a lot guys.

Back