Camera Decision Help / Advice

I am basically a beginning film maker/director and am struggling to make a decision as to what I should do. I am currently filming on a Hi-8 Sony Handicam and I am limited as to the possibilities of what I could do with it, as you probably know.( editing, quality, effects ) etc.

I am stuck on mostly two things right now, either I purchase a Canon FS100, FS200 etc. or a HD Camcorder. The problem is, I am not sure if the Fs100 is any good, and if anyone would recommend it. I like the fact that it has external mic possibilities and somewhat good quality as what I have heard. I could possibly eventually afford to get HD camcorder, but I am not sure if my computer can handle the footage and it is very expensive.

I would like a camcorder that can produce professional looking film and that is not very expensive. I would like to continue to use it for many years to come. Any suggestions or help? If HD, what recommendation?

While this camera does have a mic and headphone jack the tiny
1/6-inch CCD will give you a relativly poor image. It has no
manual functions except White Balance which limits what you
can do with it.

For the price I’d give this camera a tentative thumbs up based on
the mic input. For a beginner I can see this being an affordable
option to get started.

Look into the Canon HV20/HV30 series. They shoot 24P HDV at 1080 with a cinema-mode. There are many dedicated sites to how to maximize and get professional looking footage from this camera. They are also available new at around $500-$600

- PJR

Back