Canon XH A1

Anyone ever shoot on it? If so.. what do you think?

I'm looking at cameras to buy.. and I originally wanted the HVX200, but its a little out of my price range. The XH A1 is right around my range. I want to know if its a good camera to shoot on..

Yes. I'm editing a feature shot with this camera now. It looks great, far better than I would have expected, but they also used a 35mm lens adapter on it.

The 24F frame mode is interesting and somewhat challenging to work with, but looks good. Check you NLE software to make sure it can handle the camera and it's frame rates well.

I use one with a 35mm adapter a lot. I LOVE the look of it. In fact, I like the look more than the HVX with the 35 adapter for the simple reason that the A1 shoots in 24f as opposed to 24p. It's essentially faking a film look, so IMO it looks a lot more like film than the HVX, especially with the 35 adapter. The HVX has always looked way too digital for me. Given the choice between the two, I'd take the A1 any day of the week.

It's also a very deep camcorder. It has a vast array of controls and when you learn how to use the custom presets you will find yourself getting some absolutely stunning images.

I think that if you go with the A1, you will not be disappointed. You will keep finding new ways to shoot with it and your footage will just keep getting better and better. It's also a pleasure to add upgrades to it. Before you know it, you will have a bad-arse rig on your hands.

There is one downside, however. The screen. It is absolutely useless. If you do buy one, I'd suggest getting an external HD monitor immediately to ensure that your image will always be in focus. Ikan sells some pretty inexpensive HD monitors, I'd look into that. I NEVER use that little POS screen. Just thinking about the time spent trying to find focus on that thing-- Blah! Never again.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
WalterWhite

In response to the monitor comment, I agree. I know budgets are what they are, but I'd NEVER recommend shooting with a 35mm adapter without a high quality external monitor. If you do, shoot extra coverage for all the shots that wind up out of focus.

My opinion is a bit different.

I don't like this camera, not very much at all.

Besides that monitor, I don't like 1080i, and I don't like using DV anymore, but that's more preference.

I don't think I've used it with a 35 adapter, so I can't say how well i'd like it in that situation.

I shoot a lot on HVX200 w/ 35 and I personally think it's worth it.

Back