Shotting underwater?

Hey guys! I need your help. I'm planning on shooting a short film in a few months, but I need advise on the first scene. It happens underwater, which is really the only problem, because the action is simple enough and there's no need to do many camera movements and stuff like that. What I'd love is for you guys to help me figure out how to do this with, basically, no budget. Because I know there's equipment for shoots like this, but I don't have the money to rent it. So what would you guys recommend? (I'll be shooting in either film or HD, if that makes any difference).

I shot a pilot to a reality show about diving last year.

You will need to rent an underwater housing. There's not cheap way around that. Do NOT risk a camera in a bag or any other kind of jury-rigged ideas or you will kill your camera.

Another aspect is this - the deeper you get, the more light you'll need to get a good exposure. Underwater photography, especially videography is very difficult. Make sure your aperture and exposure settings are ready to loose a couple stops just because of the density of water as opposed to air.

Shooting underwater

Hey Nievas...

I would tend to agree with Sonnyboo, but have one additional suggestion. If you don't need to go deep with the camera, use a sizable aquarium and partially submerge it. Put the camera inside (right up to the glass) and BE CAREFUL!

The safest thing though would definitely be to just get yourself the equip you need (check out Hydroflex for underwater gear). My company recently shot a toy commercial where we used one of their splash bags, and it worked great. You also might try calling around... Someone might be willing to rent or loan you an underwater housing for next-to-nothing since you're a no-budget short film, or might be willing to trade you for a day of PA work or something.

Good luck!

If you have the budget to shoot in film or HD, you have the budget to rent an underwater housing for the camera for one day.

Do you have the money to reimburse the DP for the camera? Or if rented, will the insurance cover water damage from being submerged? Do you want funny looks on the set from all the crew members? Seriously. Do it right. It's not that much money to do this right.

The thing is I'm just a student. I don't personally have the money to shoot either in film nor HD. My school gives me the equipment. But I'll try looking for the right equipment if you guys say there's no other way around it. Thanks for answering!

Here's an idea. Is there a pool near you that has viewing glass? I know Olympic size pools sometimes have this. It's like an observation room below the water line. Check universities. Hope this helps.

I've definitely seen some cheap under water cases for less than 50 dollars on ebay and even at the market and such, maybe you should look into that if you can spend some money, but if you can't I'd say try to build some kind of illusion that makes it look like the scene is under water. Maybe a fish tank like effect.

I agree...find a way to rent the equipment. You might even be able to borrow the equipment, trading credits. Try a scuba shop. They usually rent underwater gear, and maybe they'll do it for a mention in the credits. Maybe you can (I don't know your script) shoot at the scuba shop for free advertising, or mention the shop in the dialog?

I shot a film on Mini DV, and took the "cheap" way out. I bought a second cheap mini dv camera, and made an underwater housing myself. I got some great shots from it, but didn't download the shots, before I went in and took some more. Second try, I didn't close it correctly, it leaked, and the whole camera and tape was destroyed. I had to buy another "cheap" camera, and reshoot the whole thing. This time I "measured twice and cut once", and didn't have a leak, and got footage that I was happy with.

My point being, ONLY if losing and replacing one camera is worth it, is it worth it. Film or HD is too risky to lose. Rent the equipment and save yourself the potential loss.

Chris

Last edited:
Back