Title Design Fees

Hello All,
I am looking to see if there is a way to simplify what to charge for title design. Is there a ball park flat rate or maybe a percentage of total budget to determine a starting rate that is widely used. I can use a hourly rate, but I hate giving a quote that is too high compared to a total projects budget. So if I knew, say, that title design runs about 1/2% of a total budget then on a 100K project I could give a few pitches with one definitely in the $500 range and a few other ideas at varying prices. I know the title design fee is part of how a total budget is determined but most come to me estimating they can pull together X amount of dollars for a total budget.

Best to all.

Find someone who has a nice After Effects template library. A lot of 3rd party companies have text templates. They might have something pre-designed that looks good. That eliminates a lot of work and saves you $$.

I don't think there is a set rate. I'd try to avoid a flat rate for the same reason I always state - you can trapped into revision hell forever unless you are making a day rate or hourly rate, then contractually state that once it is approved (the first time), that any revisions will cost extra.

I love a good title sequence, as long as it's meaningful. I waver between simplistic and complex depending on the piece it's for.

Thank you for the input. The template idea may be the way to go when it comes to very, very low budget projects that wander my way. I don't know if it is the actual budget or if it is even true but I came across the rough budget for The Village from M. Night Shyamalan which listed Title Design - $160K. That sure is something to strive for.

Best of luck to all.

Movies like WOLVERINE and STAR TREK spend a lot of money on their titles sequences, and even then that includes revisions upon revisions as producers, the studio, and the director all put in their $.02 (and that really seems to add up when it costs $160,000).

I saw a DVD extra on IRON MAN just on their title sequences and how many variations and revisions it went through. I don't imagine it cost much less than $100K.

How do INDIE FILMS and regional project cost? Much like their budgets, fractionally cheaper.

Back