Attracting Financial Backing using a Trailer

Now, i know many filmmakers have done this before, but i couldn't find much information online on the success rate. The plan is, for my next film, to write a smashingly good script (horror/exploitation) and shoot a kickass high production value trailer, and set up great, professional looking website. And use this as a tool to attract financiers. For a film which i would like to budget at around AUS$60-80,000. How often does this work? you hear the big success stories... El Mariachi, Saw etc. I'm more curious about the other films, the one's that aren't smash hits, do you think many smaller films raise financing in this fashion?

Never Back Down did the same thing. Worked great for them, you can watch their early trailer on the bonus features. It definitely got producers to throw in money.

Oh, wow. Great. I didn't know Never Back Down got financed like that. I saw that. It sucked big time. Extra Cheese. But that's still pretty cool! I'll have to check out the DVD i'd been keen to see that trailer.

We're doing it right now. We shot 12 pages of the script and put together a trailer. It wasn't until a distributor contacted us to see a screener- that we could really use the situation as leverage to talk to investors. We set a target date for production and also setting up reps for AFM. You can see the trailer at
http://www.killingfieldsmovie.com

or our production blog we've started at
http://newtribefilms.blogspot.com/

Of course this is a genre movie and the budget is low (under 100K) no stars but we figure if we keep it (the budget) low we can pay back our investors and do this again.
Good luck.

Kevin Smith, even after having made CLERKS, MALLRATS and CHASING AMY had to make a trailer for DOGMA in order to get financing with the Weinsteins.

The current TRON 2.0 (aka TR2N or TRON 2)did a whole scene and demonstrated the new FX and this was done to convince one side of the Disney Studio to finance it fully as a feature.

For me personally, we shot a "trailer-scene" for HORRORS OF WAR and that secured Japanese distribution before we shot a frame of the actual movie. We did a 3.5 minute whole scene from the movie rather than a trailer, but it encapsulated enough of the story and basic premise that it worked out for us. We also shot it on 35mm film.

I've worked on three trailers that were made to attract investors and one paid off. I know of about seven others that didn't work. It's a tough call. I think if you have a novel idea or some strong visuals or visual elements, then it might work. If it's just standard imagery with a standard story, I'm not sure it would work.

Scott

I believe Sam Raimi did Evil Dead like that.

he used 3 different super 8 shorts they did together. This is well documented in the book IF CHINS COULD KILL by Bruce Campbel (an amazing read).
if-chins-could-kill-tp.jpg

In New England, a lot of the 'high production value' indies us this method a lot. They blow their wad (in more ways than one) on a trailer, hoping for investment in the feature-length version. They spend all their time and money on promo-shoots and red carpet fund raiser events, and more often than not, the feature doesn't even get made.

I think it can work, and it does work. This is how the few select indies get 'green lighted.' But don't hold your breath.

Far too many indie directors think they need upwards 30-60K to make their feature. Now I don't know what genre you're planning, but I can promise you, you don't need that much money to make a good quality feature if you know how to properly stretch a budget. So what they do is spend a ton of time and money on a trailer, and then sit on it like a golden egg.

I think that's all fine and dandy if your the type of director and crew that prefer the glitz and glam of the industry...I notice these types really like the attention of the production and the talk of potential fame...but when it comes down to product, they never follow through.

The director and crew I work with all the time has released 5 features in 5 years, all of which are being distributed (he also DP'ed three more features in that time). We love to make films, and even though we do care about where the film goes, the important thing is making movies. Shoot a feature, distribute it, and work on the next one. If you keep the budget low, and play the distribution and fundraising for the next one smart...you can continue making features.

If your goal is to get rich...I don't know what to tell you. All I know is you have to get films out there for people to see if you want to make a name for yourself. Shooting a trailer isn't going to make you rich or famous (maybe only in the small town you may live in, and some people even seek this kind of attention).

Hire talented people and keep your budget low. Make a feature. Self-distribute it (or sell it if it's worth it). Just go for it.

Our last feature was under 8K...and it looks huge and is getting tons of attention. You don't have to raise or land investment for 100K to make a feature worth watching or buying.

Good luck.

I don't doubt it can be done, but a feature for 8K, that's impressive. I just spent 6K on a 25 minute short. I mean how did you pay anybody (or did you). I had 5 days of shooting, so at $100 a day for the DP and the sound recordist (who supplied all his own sound gear), $50 dollars a day for the 1st Assistant camera (who supplied the camera), $50 a day for makeup, that's $1500 bucks right there (and that's paying slave wages), then you rent any gear (I got a mega grip kit on a great deal for $100 a day) you're up to $2000, then you pay an editor, then you feed people, then you have to buy costumes and props... 4 or 5 or 6 grand on a 5 day shoot is gone in no time.

I advise against it. Shop a script with maybe some story boards. If you shoot something, then shoot maybe one scene with a digital camera. Don't waste a lot of money on a trailer.

And if you DO plan to shoot a high quality trailer, of course you'll be using a digital camera...what else are they going to use, a Panavision 35mm?

Of course not, this is an independent forum...just make sure it's at least HD.

:)

Last edited:
We're doing it right now. We shot 12 pages of the script and put together a trailer. It wasn't until a distributor contacted us to see a screener- that we could really use the situation as leverage to talk to investors. We set a target date for production and also setting up reps for AFM. You can see the trailer at

Of course this is a genre movie and the budget is low (under 100K) no stars but we figure if we keep it (the budget) low we can pay back our investors and do this again.
Good luck.

congrats on getting financing for your movie. but there's one thing i dont understand. how do you go from shooting a trailer to working with the distributor? won't they ask for more materials to see that you're legit? do they just hand you over a check or something before you shoot?

congrats on getting financing for your movie. but there's one thing i dont understand. how do you go from shooting a trailer to working with the distributor? won't they ask for more materials to see that you're legit? do they just hand you over a check or something before you shoot?

Not sure I follow you. You're insinuating that the distributor is the one footing the bills in this case? I know this can sometimes be the case, but for the most part don't the producers handle the money and budget from investors?

Distribution companies aren't usually the ones to foot a budget correct? Unless they hire you as a director to shoot their film (which we did recently).

If investors (or a distribution company) want to invest in your (or their) film, then I'm sure they have plenty of material on you already. They do their research. No one is going to give you money just because you want to make a movie...you have to have something (or things) that show you can bring your A-game. Also they want to see the return of investment...if you can shoot quality films for cheap, you're much more valuable to them.

And depending on the company or investor, they may want partial control of your project...it's up to you to specify these rules in the very beginning. You don't want a gorilla in a suit telling you your ending has to be happy...

Last edited:

Good luck.

Hahah. Love it. Great work here for sure. You've done everything right. I'm glad you're seeing distribution. I love good Zed flicks...and you've mixed hillbillies in there too. Perfect. Children of the Corn meets the zed-genre...

So...how's that distributor you went through? New Tribe Films. We've self-distributed our last two features because distribution companies suck right now, and it's totally not worth selling the picture for such a small amount. Were you pleased with their offer?

Last edited:

The trailer has created enough buzz that distributors contacted us to see a screener. I used this as leverage to get investors. Of course NOTHING is guaranteed in the film business. So really there's no deal with a distributor but they like what they see in the trailer and we communicate to them where we are in the process. So we in turn are developing a relationship. They know what it takes to make a film -we must be doing alright because they are still keeping in touch with us through e-mail and still want to see the screener.

No checks are handed out without a TON of work and selling the film to the investors which know that we don't have a distribution deal. With a trailer and script in hand most on the team work in the film and television industry- we go to work - it's a calculated risk for everyone. The trailer looks VERY good but it doesn't mean the film is going to be a hit. We also started a webisode campaign to help create buzz for the film check out the 1st one at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seeS9s5SXbU&feature=channel_page.

Also the director started a production blog at http://newtribefilms.blogspot.com/

This all has taken over a year to pull together, but one way or another we WILL make this movie, and sell it. We have a decent script and film experienced people to work on it. You have to WILL it to be, and I'll tell you I've worked in film and television since 1992 and producing a low budget indie film is one of the hardest things I've ever done (and we're not finished yet!). I wish they would just hand us a check it would be much easier- maybe the next one (lol). Thanks for your interest and
Good Luck :)

Wow. Some really good replies on this thread. Glad to hear this works. we have a group of investors/distributors who would be interested in financing and putting this thing out there. We've just gotta convince them this is something they wanna get into. A trailer certainly seemed the best option. Good to hear this has a possibility of working.

I don't doubt it can be done, but a feature for 8K, that's impressive. I just spent 6K on a 25 minute short. I mean how did you pay anybody (or did you). I had 5 days of shooting, so at $100 a day for the DP and the sound recordist (who supplied all his own sound gear), $50 dollars a day for the 1st Assistant camera (who supplied the camera), $50 a day for makeup, that's $1500 bucks right there (and that's paying slave wages), then you rent any gear (I got a mega grip kit on a great deal for $100 a day) you're up to $2000, then you pay an editor, then you feed people, then you have to buy costumes and props... 4 or 5 or 6 grand on a 5 day shoot is gone in no time.

we have a rare opportunity to shoot this film (it's a survival horror) in largely one location (a pub/hotel) after hours. it will be roughly a 2 week shoot and the crew will be housed and fed in and at the hotel. It'll be a skeleton crew and a very small cast. I work for a large audiovisual company and have secured a lot of equipment FOC. the crew is of course paid in lieu (which you can take as unpaid, except in the rarest of circumstances). so, yeah, we were offered this location. they want us to shoot a movie there, so it all came organically from there. i'm sure we could do this movie on 40k. i'm starting at 80 and i'll work my way down and tighten things up as all the details become clearer.

first things first, we gotta get this thing financed. i've made one film previously out of my own pocket and it's not an experience i feel like repeating. obviously the trailer will be self financed, i'd say somewhere between 2-4k for the shoot.

Hahah. Love it. Great work here for sure. You've done everything right. I'm glad you're seeing distribution. I love good Zed flicks...and you've mixed hillbillies in there too. Perfect. Children of the Corn meets the zed-genre...

So...how's that distributor you went through? New Tribe Films. We've self-distributed our last two features because distribution companies suck right now, and it's totally not worth selling the picture for such a small amount. Were you pleased with their offer?

Thanks for your kind words M1chae1. New Tribe Films is the directors company he's a gaffer/DP does commercials, music videos and other stuff http://www.newtribefilms.com/
We haven't gotten to the asking price yet. Our production is scheduled for July shoot and they say they want to see it after were done with the edit. We are trying to have it finished in time to have someone rep it at AFM so we can have options to sell foreign and if the first company doesn't pan out (they want US rights) we can shop for a US buyer there as well. If all else fails we - like you have done-have a self distribution plan in place.
Good luck

Thanks for your kind words M1chae1. New Tribe Films is the directors company he's a gaffer/DP does commercials, music videos and other stuff http://www.newtribefilms.com/
We haven't gotten to the asking price yet. Our production is scheduled for July shoot and they say they want to see it after were done with the edit. We are trying to have it finished in time to have someone rep it at AFM so we can have options to sell foreign and if the first company doesn't pan out (they want US rights) we can shop for a US buyer there as well. If all else fails we - like you have done-have a self distribution plan in place.
Good luck

Ah right right right...of course. My bad. (Great logo by the way)

I think you should quite easily be able to pick up a distributor with this...the questions is, will it be worth it to you to sell it? Unless it's Lions Gate (or a subsid), I'm guessing the answer will be no. It might be worth it to you to self-distribute. I hope you get a good offer. Just don't sell it for peanuts just to get it out of your hands...you've got a quality product here.

Back