Best Super 8 telecine under <$15k? Elmo, Tobin, Moviestuff?

Hi -
I am trying to get into the transfer of Super 8mm film, mostly for the learning experience and helping my family and friends preserve their memories onto DVD. I already have transferred VHS (yes, I understand it's very different, but at least that lets you know that I have some video experience). Now, I've done enough research to understand that it is cheaper to get this done by a professional... but, let's say I can't be talked out of the DIY telecine route...

What brand and model would anyone out there who has actually TRIED these brands ( and is not a salesman) recommend < $15k?

So far, I've encountered the MovieStuff, Tobin, and Elmo brands and I've scoured this forum to find nobody having a clear post about this...
A helpful member of the Cinematography forum said the Elmo is junk...
Any thoughts?
I've seen what the MovieStuff guy has to say and I also know that I'd be happier with a Spirit brand, but these seem to run like 30-100k used...
Any and all info would be helpful!

Also, I own a MacBook with FCP... is there any other software/hardware I should consider (like something else for color correction?)

Thanks,
Jon

So far, I've encountered the MovieStuff...Any thoughts?

My very first footage was transferred on a frame-by-frame Workprinter. It came out pretty dark, but that could have been my footage, I 'spose.

The motion was smooth, but it definitely didn't look as good as the lab I use now.

That's all I know. :)

I just took a look at their site again. Looks like they have all kinds of new devices now.

I've use both Tobin and MovieStuff. I can say without reservation that the MovieStuff stuff is first class all the way. Can't be better. Results rival the high cost Rank telecine for a miniscule fraction of the cost. And support from the team at MovieStuff is fantastic.
Bob

Back