Independent Film/Music Competition

Hello all, I am new to the forum and a composer of music. I would like to compose music to a short film. The film should be between 2 and 10 minutes and the footage is completely up to the the artist. The prize is not big, only that I will compose music to be synced to the film. The film can be silent or contain speech. It obviously should not contain any music. I will be the only judge. I am looking to link the arts and will open a competition for poets as well...The ultimate media will contain my music with another persons film and another person's poetry. All interested in participating in this should submit their film to my email: sbeneasler@gmail.com by May 1, 2009.

I would rather not influence the film maker by my previous works. I will say that I have never composed for film before. I have composed rock music as well as art music for traditional and mixed ensembles in styles ranging from classical to jazz to rock. I enjoy composing with various instruments in various styles so I would like the influence of style to come from the movie as much as or more than my personal music composition style.

I understand your concern about it, but as musicians sounds can have a huge range. I am sure we all understand that any musicians working in film have an array of styles, sounds and moods. I don't think anyone here would think otherwise. Without showing some kind of sample to portray your quality, complexity and over all talent I think you might have a hard time finding people who are sincerely interested.

If it helps, be sure you clarify that your variety is much more extensive then the sample(s) you are showing. Specify that they are being shown as samples of quality and talent not as a limited persona of your music.

Besides, I would really like to hear.

Back