Why will you invest in my project ??

Hi i had aquestion in my mind and i wanted to know what people think? Suppose i have a film script (which you think will work out) and a marketing strategy etc what is the other thing you will like to see in it or in the filmmaking team to get satisfied? I wanted to this. Suppose if i have an experience of production and direction. And now i have a script (which is commercially stron) and even we can say a distribution plan or should i say a plan to attract distributors or self distribution. Iss there anything left which you will like to see? Which you think is missing?

You have an excellent, marketable script.
You have an experienced producer.
You have an experienced director.

Those things make a safer investment.

Having a plan to attract distributors is meaningless. Every
filmmaker has a plan to attract distributors. But the experienced
producer and director might have connections with distributors
so that helps.

As an investor I'm going to ask what most people who go to
movies ask: Who is in it?

Well thanks for the reply directorik. But when i said experienced Director/Producer i mean the working experience not that much experienced that they can have the relationship or hi hello with any distributor.
More over this is a very interesting issue as you said
Who is in it?

Because having a neamed cast will obviously increase the budget. More over recently while talking to ym teacher i came to know a very interesting thing. Not sure it is true or not. But according to my teacher if you want the charachter to be superior then you should come up with unknow face. Other wise an experienced or famous name will bring his media image too so the charachter will go behind. SO dont know what to say about this but again i feel surprising that in todays world when people are more aware of films and have developed the taste and have seen lots of good movies without a big name still they prefer the known and popular faces. :)

Anyways your only question (apart from the normal considerable things) will be Who is in it? :)

AD...I have to say that your teacher is correct in a very limited way, and incorrect in a very important way. From a purely artistic standpoint, and new face for a unique character is good. You don't have any preconceived thoughts as to what the character is about, and you can surprise the audience with the things that come out about the character.

But if you're making movies in order to make more movies (ie: make money so you can finance another project) or if you have investors (who only care about making money, at the worst, not losing money!) you need someone to draw in the audience. That could be a well named Director, sometimes a big producer can draw in a crowd, or a big actor.

It's the old problem of if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Chris

Well thanks for the reply directorik. But when i said experienced Director/Producer i mean the working experience not that much experienced that they can have the relationship or hi hello with any distributor.
In that case we go all the way back to the challenge that all independent filmmakers face.

You have an excellent script.
You have a producer who is experienced but has never had a movie
released and make a profit.
You have a director who is experienced but has never had a movie
You don’t have a budget for name actors.

This is a very risky investment.

Of course we can all name a dozen films made and released that
fall under all three criteria. Most of those were self financed -
meaning they didn’t attract “investors” but were financed by the
filmmakers and their friends.

But according to my teacher if you want the charachter to be superior then you should come up with unknow face.
I agree with Chris. In a purely artistic sense this may be
correct. But in the business of motion picture production and
distribution it is terribly naive. "Superman" did well with the
unknown Christopher Reeve. "Superman Returns" did poorly
with the unknown Brandon Routh. It's difficult for me to say
that "The Dark Knight" would have been superior with an
unknown face as Batman.

Wouldn’t it be nice if people paid to see films based on how well
the written character was portrayed?

Since you are asking about investors I assume you mean business
people looking for a project that will make money for them. Am I
correct?

Or are you asking about people you know, who believe in you and
your project?

Your this statment is correct
Then you need to see this investment from the perspective of
business. We all wish business people would respond to the
artistic value of our script and movie. We all wish people spending
money to watch movies would make their choice based on the
artistic passion of the filmmaker.

Investors are looking for a safe investment. People who invest
in movie production know there is nothing safe about it. So
they tend to look for safer investments - they are willing to
gamble because they know (as we filmmakers know) the low
budget movies that have made a LOT of money.

So to answer your question; "what is the other thing you will
like to see in it or in the filmmaking team to get satisfied? Iss
there anything left which you will like to see? Which you think
is missing?"

You have an excellent script.
You have a producer who is experienced but has never had a movie
You have a director who is experienced but has never had a movie
You have a plan to attract distributors or self distribution.

I think the only thing missing is a full, line item budget.

This thread reminds me of an interview I read several years ago. This indie filmmaker got James L. Brooks (Simpsons, Taxi, etc.) attached to his project and apparently Mr. Brooks got a studio to finance the film for something like four million. Mr. Brooks took seventy five percent of the money for himself and left the rest for the production.

Perhaps, you need to get a producer with a track record attached to your project.

Back