Insurance?

Anyone have experience with getting equipment floaters for production? This is new to me, I didn't even know what a "floater" was until I googled it. I need to insure a $600 camera, a laptop, and some other equipment for a cross-country shoot, where it's highly likely that something will be broken or stolen. (see my other thread) I only need to be fully covered for two months. Any suggestions?

I'm bumping this thread because I have the same question.

I may be doing sound cross country next week. If it happens, it will be ultra low budget and I doubt the production company will have insurance that will cover my equipment. I'm not so much worried about my kit while I'm shooting, but scared as heck that the airlines will find a way to lose it or destroy it in transit.

Someone out there must have experience traveling with and insuring production equipment. Yes? Do the airlines offer baggage insurance? Some other place that you'd recommend that would cover my stuff during the trip? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'd be traveling with about $4000 dollars worth of sound equipment.

Thanks,

Doug

Don't know if this will apply to your situation or not, but I have the equipment I use in my video production business covered by a "scheduled" policy through the same company (State Farm) that insures my house. I have about $10,000 worth of cameras and sound equipment covered for all losses. It costs me around $165 per year with no deductible.

FWIW, they also carry my business liability policy: $500,000 coverage for $225 per year with a $500 deductible.

Anyone have experience with getting equipment floaters for production? This is new to me, I didn't even know what a "floater" was until I googled it. I need to insure a $600 camera, a laptop, and some other equipment for a cross-country shoot, where it's highly likely that something will be broken or stolen. (see my other thread) I only need to be fully covered for two months. Any suggestions?

I would say a $600 camera and laptop -unless the other gear was more than say $20K it would be easier to self insure. Insurance is expensive and they always make you jump through hoops and find loopholes how NOT to pay you.
Just My 2 Cents

Hello All, I hope I am not getting to you after the fact, I deal with production insuance daily and can answer any questions you have on equipment floaters, baggage insurance, and any other questions you have. Feel free to pick my brain. <moderator edit>
Best of luck,
Alexander

Last edited by a moderator:
Back