Input for mic?

Hi,

I borrowed a microphone from the TV/Film and noticed that there is one black "band" around the "input" (the part that is inputted in the camcorder to record sound - remind of what that's called) but I noticed that there are some "inputs" that have two black bands. Why is this? Is this going to restrict me to do something?

Mono records everything onto a single audio track. (It might be the left track, or the right track... but only one of the two.)

Stereo records audio to both the left & the right tracks... kinda like... in stereo. :blush:

I'm no expert on audio (it's my Achille's heel), but yah - should be good.

I give all my sound to a sound-mixer, and they work their voodoo on it. They duplicate channels, add stereo after the fact (magically matching it to the video, so that if the person on the left of the screen is speaking, then their dialogue-audio is louder on the left channel than the right), and all kinds of other balancing acts.

You can do this yourself, in your NLE (unless it's the basic Windows Movie Maker, or similar). Just much easier to give it to someone who knows what they're doing - and who actually likes doing it.

Its easy, mono will get you a single channel, most DAW's or sound will automatically center it. You normally will not hear it on just the left or just the right, normally it should sound directly in the center. However if you can pan it slightly to one side or the other 10% or less it will help the voice stand out from the rest of the sounds.

Stereo puts it on both the left and right channel, but to be honest if its a mic your talking about, mono is the way to go. All stereo will do is take up more of the audio range and make it harder to hear other things. Remember the voice needs to be simple and clear. Mono is the way to go.

Back