WORKING MEN'S CLUB- MACRO SHOOTING ON CANON 514XL-S

Dear members, hello. I'm currently working on a short film using CANON 514XL-S. There have been no troubles so far but I recently been trying to get my head around the MACRO function and I couldn’t quite figure how to focus while shooting MACRO. I have the original manual but it’s as helpful as a tennis racket in the desert.

I can be a bit more specific:

1. Must the focusing ring be fixed on 'infinite' when shooting on macro?

2. Should I fix the focusing ring to the distance I am from the subject, or is it not important at all and as long as the split-image in the viewfinder seems in focus than its ok?

3. Are there any other tips that could be useful about MACRO shooting?

Much appreciate any help about the matter

I have that camera. What are you trying to shoot?

As our Founder said, the macro feature is when you are shooting
at less than six inches . The way I remember it, you set the focus
ring on 'infinite', engage the macro feature and focus using the
viewfinder.

thanks for you reply,

I'm shooting an animated piece which is part of the film from a distance of aprox 2 meters. I was using the telephoto-marco which is the function at the top end of zoom ring and it allows focusing by shifting the zoom lever, rather than the wide-angle which is at the bottom and is fixed. The subject was in focus in the viewfinder when the focus ring was on infinite but I could also get it in focus in the viewfinder when the the focus ring was not on infinite. I'm trying to understand if the focus is correct as long as the in the image in viewwfinder seems correct or must I always use infinite to get correct focus.

Again, thanks for your reply

Back