Jettisode #3 - How To Prepare For An Audition and More

Jettisode #3 - How To Prepare For An Audition and More

Jettisode #3: Austin Actor / Director Jett Garner (The Alamo, Baghead) talks about an underrated film "Green Street Hooligans," actress Claire Forlani and answers shortfilmtexas.com email from London about how to prepare for an audition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqyKUJKAmf4

Thanks for the link. I've never seen GSH, but I heard it was good. The trailer looked fun.

A few things I would add to 'How to Prepare for a Film Audition':

* Ask for the 'sides' before-hand via email--usually at the same time you are replying to their email casting call. They will either be all about it, want you to do more of a cold-reading, or worst case scenario, they won't know what 'sides' are--which are usually bits of the actual script used to audition each character. Getting the sides before-hand will allow you to familiarize yourself with the character, and allow you to make strong choices without the stress of being on the clock. It will also allow you to get 'off-book' a little bit, so you can connect more with the character you're reading to--eye contact is incredibly important in film acting. The gentleman in the video said he prefers more of a cold-read scenario...each person is different...I've found most people aren't great readers, so cold-reads scare the bajeezus out of a lot of actors. If you can memorize the sides, go ahead, however I would still hold them in your hands during the audition, and refer to them briefly from time to time...for effect...trust me.

*The important thing to remember is *always make a strong choice and drive it through*. Don't ever be wishy-washy with what your trying to do, say, or think. That is the doom of an actor in an audition.

*Bring a headshot and resume to the audition. Staple the resume to the back of the headshot, and make sure the size of the paper matches the photo (if you need to, trim one or the other to match. Make sure it's neat.

*Dress the part if you think it will help, but it's not necessary.

*Read the book 'Audition' by Michael Schurtleff. It caters mostly to stage, but will help you out immensely.

Those are just a few. Thanks for allowing me to share.

Last edited:
Hey , from Ft Worth . I check the call boards on Short film Texas everyday . How long is the site going to be down . Or is it no longer accepting Google Chrome or Safari servers ? :huh: I keep getting a 403 error .

Back